Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > suddenly can't "see" home network

suddenly can't "see" home network

CTS

I have a Verizon Fios setup, with a wireless router. My desktop is a Mac,
hooked up by ethernet to the router. I have a Dell laptop (D600) that until
recently easily logged on to the wireless network easily: It identified a
number of wireless networks (including mine), I would plug in the WEP keyword
and connect. (After I plugged in the WEP once, that is, it would connect
automatically.)

Now -- possibly because I added some updates to XP? -- the laptop says there
are no networks available --- zero. I hit "refresh" and still get nothing.
The only clue is to check if my "wireless switch" is on, but I don't know
what that is. I've tried a few things like "repairing" the connection, using
the network setup software, but that's not working either.

I wonder if there's a problem with my PCI card, but I don't know how to test
that, either. Any advice?

Jim

"CTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Verizon Fios setup, with a wireless router. My desktop is a Mac,
> hooked up by ethernet to the router. I have a Dell laptop (D600) that
> until
> recently easily logged on to the wireless network easily: It identified a
> number of wireless networks (including mine), I would plug in the WEP
> keyword
> and connect. (After I plugged in the WEP once, that is, it would connect
> automatically.)
>
> Now -- possibly because I added some updates to XP? -- the laptop says
> there
> are no networks available --- zero. I hit "refresh" and still get nothing.
> The only clue is to check if my "wireless switch" is on, but I don't know
> what that is. I've tried a few things like "repairing" the connection,
> using
> the network setup software, but that's not working either.
>
> I wonder if there's a problem with my PCI card, but I don't know how to
> test
> that, either. Any advice?

The "wireless switch" is also called "radio". You enable/disable the
wireless software by turning on or turning off the radio. There is also a
hardware switch on many cards which overrides this software switch. I. e.,
if the hardware switch is off, the adapter will not work. You will need to
consult the adapter manual to learn about the hardware switch. No updates
have had any effect on these switches because they are controlled by the
adapter software and hardware.

Thus, you need to check to see if both switches are enabled. And, to leave
nothing to the imagination of the reader, post the make and model of the
wireless adapter.

Jim

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This might help in finding what is wrong with the Wireless configuration.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
If it is WinXP SP3 that you refer to this might help too,
http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/j...ws-xp-sp3.aspx
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"CTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Verizon Fios setup, with a wireless router. My desktop is a Mac,
> hooked up by ethernet to the router. I have a Dell laptop (D600) that
> until
> recently easily logged on to the wireless network easily: It identified a
> number of wireless networks (including mine), I would plug in the WEP
> keyword
> and connect. (After I plugged in the WEP once, that is, it would connect
> automatically.)
>
> Now -- possibly because I added some updates to XP? -- the laptop says
> there
> are no networks available --- zero. I hit "refresh" and still get nothing.
> The only clue is to check if my "wireless switch" is on, but I don't know
> what that is. I've tried a few things like "repairing" the connection,
> using
> the network setup software, but that's not working either.
>
> I wonder if there's a problem with my PCI card, but I don't know how to
> test
> that, either. Any advice?

CTS

I'm back to this problem after being pulled away for a while.
Thanks on the "radio" point: That seems to be a step in the right direction.
Somehow the radio was disabled, and I turned in out.
However, I still can't connect: I'm getting a note saying "the following
action cannot be completed: renewing your IP address ... contact the person
who manages your network." (It sees the network now, however, and is
connected to it in some way.)

As for the tips in the links below, there seems to be something wrong with
the search function on the computer right now, and I can't find the utilities
mentioned. (Extensible Authentication Protocol Service and Network Access
Protection Agent.) But I wonder if the error note I've copied here provides
any hints?

"Jim" wrote:

> "CTS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a Verizon Fios setup, with a wireless router. My desktop is a Mac,
> > hooked up by ethernet to the router. I have a Dell laptop (D600) that
> > until
> > recently easily logged on to the wireless network easily: It identified a
> > number of wireless networks (including mine), I would plug in the WEP
> > keyword
> > and connect. (After I plugged in the WEP once, that is, it would connect
> > automatically.)
> >
> > Now -- possibly because I added some updates to XP? -- the laptop says
> > there
> > are no networks available --- zero. I hit "refresh" and still get nothing.
> > The only clue is to check if my "wireless switch" is on, but I don't know
> > what that is. I've tried a few things like "repairing" the connection,
> > using
> > the network setup software, but that's not working either.
> >
> > I wonder if there's a problem with my PCI card, but I don't know how to
> > test
> > that, either. Any advice?

> The "wireless switch" is also called "radio". You enable/disable the
> wireless software by turning on or turning off the radio. There is also a
> hardware switch on many cards which overrides this software switch. I. e.,
> if the hardware switch is off, the adapter will not work. You will need to
> consult the adapter manual to learn about the hardware switch. No updates
> have had any effect on these switches because they are controlled by the
> adapter software and hardware.
>
> Thus, you need to check to see if both switches are enabled. And, to leave
> nothing to the imagination of the reader, post the make and model of the
> wireless adapter.
>
> Jim

CTS

Okay, I've turned on the radio, which now lets me see the networks that are
in range and to choose my home network. But it's not letting me connect -- I
get a message that there is minimal or zero connectivity.

Maybe the answer lies in this piece of advice. How do I turn these things on?

<i>I've started to play with them, and switch these two on:

- Extensible Authentication Protocol Service
- Network Access Protection Agent</i>