Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > I'm locked out of Add/Remove Programs

I'm locked out of Add/Remove Programs

Denise

I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for
a while.

Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?
--
Denise

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Denise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with
> it for a while.
>
> Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?

Well, now that you've gone and made new friends, want to tell us more about
your symptoms? My crystal ball is on the blink.

Denise

Yes, I did. I also ran a number of anti-virus/trojan/malware programs and
they came up with nothing except a few cookies. I was reading around the
internet and the only other thing that was mentioned that could cause the
lockout from Add/Remove Programs is that the appwiz.cpl file had been deleted
from Windows > System32, but mine is there.
--
Denise

"Carlos" wrote:

> Denise,
> Have you already tried rebooting?
> System restore to yesterday, maybe?
>
> Carlos
>
> "Denise" wrote:
>
> > I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for
> > a while.
> >
> > Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?
> > --
> > Denise

Bobby Johnson

Another example of you trying to "clean" and "update" your computer.* Now it's screwed up, AGAIN, and you want others to figure out just what it was you did to screw up your computer.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Windows if you don't DINKER with it!

You need to find another hobby - like knitting, crocheting, reading books, etc.* Something you can't DINKER with!!!
*

*
Denise wrote:

I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for a while. Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?

Bobby Johnson

Just for fun I did a Google for 'Denise' and 'Windows' and
'x64'. Google returns about 37,200 for Denise AND Windows
AND x64.

You are a celebrity. You probably have more computer
problems that any other single person in the entire world.

Denise wrote:
> I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for
> a while.
>
> Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?

Denise

You're a complete jerk . . . always have been and always will be. I've come
to accept that but do you really need to make an a$$ out of yourself in
public? That was the most obnoxious, backward, anti-feminist statement that
I've heard since the 50's.

Your time would have been better spent searching for a solution to the
problem that hundreds of people have, which is, not being able to get MS
Updates.

And you know what? Most people don't know the answers to the questions I
ask . . . so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And get rid of your HTML code . . . it doesn't work.

Dinker with it? You must mean tinker with it. Dinker is not a word. You
just keep showing your ignorance everytime you post.

If you don't like me searching for answers to the problems that Microsoft
causes me and hundreds of others, don't read my posts.
--
Denise

"Bobby Johnson" wrote:

> <head>
> <title></title>
> </head>
> <big><font face="Calibri">Another example of you trying to "clean" and
> "update" your computer. Now it's screwed up, AGAIN, and you want
> others to figure out just what it was you did to screw up your computer.<br>
> There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Windows if you don't DINKER with
> it!<br>
> You need to find another hobby - like knitting, crocheting, reading
> books, etc. Something you can't DINKER with!!!<br>
> Denise wrote:
> cite="mid:(E-Mail Removed)"
> type="cite">
> <pre wrap="">I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for
> a while.
>
> Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?
> </pre>

Carlos

Denise,
Have you tried pressing Windows Key + R key simultaneously and then entering
appwiz.cpl and the pressing the ENTER key?
That should launch the add/remove thingie.
Carlos

"Denise" wrote:

> Yes, I did. I also ran a number of anti-virus/trojan/malware programs and
> they came up with nothing except a few cookies. I was reading around the
> internet and the only other thing that was mentioned that could cause the
> lockout from Add/Remove Programs is that the appwiz.cpl file had been deleted
> from Windows > System32, but mine is there.
> --
> Denise
>

> "Carlos" wrote:
>
> > Denise,
> > Have you already tried rebooting?
> > System restore to yesterday, maybe?
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Denise" wrote:
> >
> > > I've come to the final conclusion that MS *BLEEPS* but I'm stuck with it for
> > > a while.
> > >
> > > Today, I can't open Add/Remove Programs. What's the solution?
> > > --
> > > Denise

Bobby Johnson

dinker

* someone who just does enough to get something done.

The above is just one of the definitions of dinker. In your
case you do just enough to screw up your computer.

Microsoft does not cause the problems you have with your
computer. You cause the problems because you really don't
know what you're doing. And, since you don't know what
you're doing then how do you expect others to know how to
correct your problems?

I have visited the other forums you post in and the people
also there get tired of trying to figure out the solutions
to your obscure problems.

You're absolutely right - most people don't know the answers
to your problems because you don't know how you screwed up
your computer and you can't provide sufficient information
to analyze the situation! Your approach is to throw your
problems out in public and hope someone mystically stumbles
across the solution!

To troubleshoot any problem there has to be enough relative
information to analyze and formulate logical methods to get
to the root of the problem!

In other words you air your dirty laundry in public!

Denise wrote:
> You're a complete jerk . . . always have been and always will be. I've come
> to accept that but do you really need to make an a$$ out of yourself in
> public? That was the most obnoxious, backward, anti-feminist statement that
> I've heard since the 50's.
>
> Your time would have been better spent searching for a solution to the
> problem that hundreds of people have, which is, not being able to get MS
> Updates.
>
> And you know what? Most people don't know the answers to the questions I
> ask . . . so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
>
> And get rid of your HTML code . . . it doesn't work.
>
> Dinker with it? You must mean tinker with it. Dinker is not a word. You
> just keep showing your ignorance everytime you post.
>
> If you don't like me searching for answers to the problems that Microsoft
> causes me and hundreds of others, don't read my posts.

Bobby Johnson

P.S.

Also there is a real place named Dinker:
http://www.maplandia.com/germany/nor.../soest/dinker/

I think I have actually been there!

Denise wrote:
> You're a complete jerk . . . always have been and always will be. I've come
> to accept that but do you really need to make an a$$ out of yourself in
> public? That was the most obnoxious, backward, anti-feminist statement that
> I've heard since the 50's.
>
> Your time would have been better spent searching for a solution to the
> problem that hundreds of people have, which is, not being able to get MS
> Updates.
>
> And you know what? Most people don't know the answers to the questions I
> ask . . . so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
>
> And get rid of your HTML code . . . it doesn't work.
>
> Dinker with it? You must mean tinker with it. Dinker is not a word. You
> just keep showing your ignorance everytime you post.
>
> If you don't like me searching for answers to the problems that Microsoft
> causes me and hundreds of others, don't read my posts.

Denise

Hi Carlos,

Things were never right after I did my last Repair . . . many things didn't
work right and not being able to get into Add/Remove Programs yesterday made
my mind up for me. I first tried an SFC scan but it didn't help so I did
another Repair. The first time I tried, it loaded all the files and then got
hung up on "Setting up Windows" (or something similar). I waited about 5
minutes but it didn't move, so I started it again and it went fine. I have
access to the internet, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Updates, and all the
other little problems that I was having are gone.

Besides having XP Pro x64 installed, I have SATA, so everything was new to
me. I've learned a lot in the past 2 years and a lot of it came from help
from people like you. Thanks for taking the time to help. I never got a
chance to try your solution. It looks like your response came in right
before I got up this morning. I hope it helps someone else though. That's
the one good thing about these forums. So many things and commands are
shared that it's bound to help someone.

Have a good weekend.
--
Denise