Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cleaning up XP

Cleaning up XP

Penang

After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
running very slow.

Time for spring cleaning !

Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
and what's their use are.

So my questions to all the Gurus,

1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
what's not?

Please help. Thank you !!

1PW

On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> running very slow.
>
> Time for spring cleaning !
>
> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> and what's their use are.
>
> So my questions to all the Gurus,
>
> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
>
> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> what's not?
>
> Please help. Thank you !!

1) Backup your data files.

2) Level and rebuild.

Nothing else quite compares. Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
fresh. All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.

Best wishes to you.

Pete

--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Hari Hari Mau

On Dec 6, 4:11*am, 1PW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
>

> > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> > running very slow.

> > Time for spring cleaning !

> > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> > and what's their use are.

> > So my questions to all the Gurus,

> > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

> > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> > what's not?

> > Please help. Thank you !!

> 1) Backup your data files.
>
> 2) Level and rebuild.
>
> Nothing else quite compares. *Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
> fresh. *All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.
>
> Best wishes to you.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> 1PW
>
> @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Is there any other way short of a reformat?

Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
the MS support line to get a new serial number

Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
re-installing of the OS.

W****n S***********g

Is there any other way short of a reformat?

Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
the MS support line to get a new serial number

Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
re-installing of the OS.

If you have a valid disc with serial # should not be that big of an issue,
format and install is always the best way to 'clean' house.

R. McCarty

A Windows Cleanup isn't difficult, but has some risks. Regardless of
what you do a backup or image is critical. It's very easy to get into a
mode where you "Over-Clean" the machine and then it either doesn't
work properly or worse won't boot.

Acronis True Image is an excellent tool for Imaging a computer.

The cleanup involves removing unused or unwanted applications from
the PC. Next you'll want to remove Temporary files. Afterwards a full
defrag on the Windows volume will restore performance. It's also a
good idea to verify the disk drive's integrity with Chkdsk. These are
the minimum operations. There are more detailed/involved procedures
that deal with Browser add-ins and things that technicians would do.
It's really beyond the scope of what can be recommended in a NG
posting.

Another key point is to update all your applications. Many folks do
not update items like Sun Java, Adobe Flash and Shockwave.

Finally you should run alternate vendor Security apps on your PC.Both
an AntiVirus scan ( BitDefender or Kaspersky ) and Malware tests.

Hopefully this is enough information to get you started. Just be sure to
take the time to backup before getting started.

"Hari Hari Mau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Dec 6, 4:11 am, 1PW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
>

> > After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> > running very slow.

> > Time for spring cleaning !

> > Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> > and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> > whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> > and what's their use are.

> > So my questions to all the Gurus,

> > 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

> > 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> > what's not?

> > Please help. Thank you !!

> 1) Backup your data files.
>
> 2) Level and rebuild.
>
> Nothing else quite compares. Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
> fresh. All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.
>
> Best wishes to you.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> 1PW
>
> @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Is there any other way short of a reformat?

Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
the MS support line to get a new serial number

Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
re-installing of the OS.

Big_Al

Penang wrote:
> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> running very slow.
>
> Time for spring cleaning !
>
> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> and what's their use are.
>
> So my questions to all the Gurus,
>
> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
>
> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> what's not?
>
> Please help. Thank you !!

If you are against "format" you might read what follows and give it some
thought. I always have good luck reloading. But I've taken that a
level further lately with an imaging program that allows me to take that
5 hours of reload time and with a single 15 minute image, I now can
reload that 5 hours in 15 minutes. So now, reloads are simple. But
keeping your system clean is going to make it run fast longer.

See below: this is a collection from other posts, but they are still
good ideas from all the posters:
Before you think about reinstalling see the steps listed below.

#1: A process that's loading down your CPU:
It could be a sub-process or application that's running in the background
and taking all the CPU resources, which could be the cause of your PC
running slow.
To find and display what could be the problem try Process Explorer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Note: Once you have Process Explorer installed and running:
In the taskbar select View and check 'Show Process Tree' and
'Show Lower Pane' options.
Then expand the process named 'Explorer' (click on the + sign)
In the column on the left named 'CPU', look for any high CPU usage.
Next click on the CPU column to sort the processes by %CPU usage
(Highest to Lowest).
Move the mouse cursor over any process, you should see a popup with some
detailed info.
Then mouse over the process that's using most or all the CPU %.
Then click on that process to highlight it,
Now that it's highlighted, right click and from the options listed select:
'Search Online'
This should display what out there on the web about that process.
You can also double click on any process to open up a more detailed
'Properties' window.
Note: some entries like Explorer, System/Services, and
Svchost entries may need to be expanded to show the detail (sub processes),
in this case click on the + located to the left of the entry.

An alternate method using Process Explorer is to double click
on the Graph just below the Menu bar.
This will open the 'System Information' window, which has a larger display
of all three graphs.
Move your mouse over any spike in the CPU Usage graph to see what
process/application or service was the cause of the spike.

#2: Stuff that loads during boot or logon and then is always running in the
background:
If you want to list and explore what may be the cause then:
Try Autoruns from the MS Windows SysInternals site:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../Autoruns.mspx

AutoRuns will show/list all apps/etc. that load/run when you first boot
(Boot Execute tab),
when you logon (Logon tab) and other programs that load
(grouped by labeled tabs) for easy viewing.
It also provides the ability to selectively allows you to stop any program
(use with care) that you don't want to load.
You can undo any changes you have made.
Note: To get additional details on an item in the list you may need to
highlight the item (right click) and use the 'Search Online' option to get
the details, especially useful for the more obscure items in the list.

#3: Viruses
Viruses and malware can also cause your PC to slowdown or malfunction.
Malke has an excellent set of instructions on what to do:

#4: To much crap on the hard drive:
Take a look at CCleaner as a tool to remove Internet history info, cookies,
temp files, auto complete and other junk.
In the 'Windows' tab listing check the item types you want deleted.
Note: Do not use the registry cleaning option!!!
Also available is customization, see Options/Custom to add any
other/additional folders you want files deleted from.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

#5: Defragment your hard drive.

Don Phillipson

"Penang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> running very slow.
>
> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
>
> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> what's not?

Nobody can know what is safe for you to delete because
nobody knows what you have -- but you can use general
principles of prudence:
1. Back up essential data and config settings, preferably
to a separate hard drive so you can reload them if you
need to reinstal the OS. WinXP has a Documents and
Settings Wizard for this purpose.
2a. If you have plenty of drive space, before removing
unknown material, you can copy it to a special place
in case it later turns out you need it. E.g. create a new
folder /DISCARDS and copy there any folders or files
about which you are uncertain.
2b. Instead of deleting files or folders, UNINSTAL all
unwanted apps that appear in / Control Panel / Add&Remove.
2c. Verify the reliability of the hard drive before proceeding.
You may use either WinXP's CHKDISK tool or the drive
manufacturer's diagnostiicc apps.
3. The WinXP wizard designed to free wasted drive
space is Disk Cleanup, one of your /Accessories.
This totals the space it can clear and seeks your
OK before proceeding. See also its /Advanced facilities.
4. When you have done this, test how fast the PC
boots and then loads apps. You can then decide
about reinstalling the OS.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

TKM

"Penang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> running very slow.
>
> Time for spring cleaning !
>
> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> and what's their use are.
>
> So my questions to all the Gurus,
>
> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
>
> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> what's not?
>
> Please help. Thank you !!

Getting rid of unused programs is a good first start. Then use CCleaner
(free). Check My Computer before and after to see how much HD space you've
gained. I do a backup of the registry befoe running CCleaner just in case.
After that, do a compact on your e-mail and defrag. I use OE and it
generates a massive backup file after compaction which I delete after a day
or so.

The above steps, done every couple of months, always make a noticeable
difference in load time and operating speed and, so far, no problems of any
kind. (Using XP Professional). This all assumes that you do a virus and
malware scan regularly, so no gremlins are stealing space and time.

TKM

Twayne

> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
> running very slow.
>
> Time for spring cleaning !
>
> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under "Documents
> and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there are indeed a
> whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where they came from
> and what's their use are.
>
> So my questions to all the Gurus,
>
> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?
>
> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to delete,
> what's not?
>
> Please help. Thank you !!

The easeist and most efficient way to clean out that stuff is to start
by running disk cleanup:
Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Disk Cleanup.

It sounds like it may take a bit of time to run from your discription,
so be patient; go have coffee or your fav beverage while it runs.

Then run the disk defragmenter:
Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; Defragment.

Next will be to run an antivirus scan and malware detectors; at least 3
spyware detectors as have been listed here many times.

At this point you should be pretty much back to speed, you'll know what
to try next time, and wont' have lost any data or anythign else. Which
reminds me, if you aren't backing up your data regularly, you really
should start doing to before you lose everything.

If those haven't helped enough, come on back and explain what you have
and what you did. Some of the other responses here are right, and will
work, but they're using a wrecking ball and new construction as opposed
to simply taking out the garbage first.

HTH

Twayne

Twayne

> On Dec 6, 4:11 am, 1PW <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 12/06/2008 03:51 AM, Penang sent:
>>

>>> After 3 years of using, my XP is loaded with junks, and my PC is
>>> running very slow.

>>> Time for spring cleaning !

>>> Checking through the XP directories, especially those under
>>> "Documents and Settings" and "Windows" and "Program Files", there
>>> are indeed a whole lot of STUFFS that I don't have any clue where
>>> they came from and what's their use are.

>>> So my questions to all the Gurus,

>>> 1. Can you tell me where I can safely clean out the junks?

>>> 2. Is there anywhere on the Net that tells me what is safe to
>>> delete, what's not?

>>> Please help. Thank you !!

>> 1) Backup your data files.
>>
>> 2) Level and rebuild.
>>
>> Nothing else quite compares. Repartition/Reformat the HDD and start
>> fresh. All the old things you installed and forgot about, go away.
>>
>> Best wishes to you.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> --
>> 1PW
>>
>> @?6A62?FEH9E=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

> Is there any other way short of a reformat?
>
> Last time when I re-installed my XP on a new hard disk, I encountered
> a "serial number" problem. Can't remember much about the details,
> something like the verification server for Microsoft told me that my
> serial number was invalid or something like that, and I had to call
> the MS support line to get a new serial number
>
> Although it's not a big problem actually, just that I would much
> prefer a way that does NOT involve reformatting the hard disk and the
> re-installing of the OS.

Yes; see my answer to the original post.

Cleaning C partition FFox, Tbird, Sbird no_one@no_where.invalid Firefox 0 03-16-2006 03:55 PM
Cleaning out cache History Fan Firefox 5 11-16-2005 09:34 AM
help cleaning my nat inside list jcharth@hotmail.com Cisco 0 10-13-2005 09:02 PM
IHttpHandler, IHttpModules, and cleaning up after File Uploading... Sky Sigal ASP .Net 13 08-03-2004 10:27 PM
Cleaning up read messages Mike Phillips Firefox 1 10-30-2003 07:20 PM

Advertisments