Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Question on "My Pictures" screensaver

Question on "My Pictures" screensaver

Alan M. Goldfarb

I'd like to find out if Windows XP supports the pictures in the "My Pictures
Slideshow" screen saver option, being shown in correct alpha-numeric order
according to pic file name, each time.

For the sake of continuity I'll say that the pictures in my "My Pictures"
folder are named Pic1, Pic 2, Pic3, etc. all the way up to Pic10 (this is not
necessarily saying I have ten pictures in the folder, but you get the idea).

When my screensaver activates the pictures are not always shown in
alpha-numeric order. It might show Pic4 first, then Pic6, then Pic1, then
Pic8.... another time it will show Pic9 first, then Pic10, then Pic2, then
Pic7, then Pic4. In other words they are shown in random order each time.

In Windows VISTA the pictures are always shown in correct alpha-numeric
order, (that is, Pic1, Pic2, Pic3, etc.) unless I check a checkbox that says
"Randomize." But there are no such controls in the XP version.

Does this mean that only Windows Vista supports the pictures being shown in
alpha-numeric order? Or is there a way to do it on XP as well that I haven't
found or figured out?

Tony Sperling

If numbers appear in a filename you should try and use the format [01. . .]
or [001. . .] depending on how many items you want to be sorted - it might
also help the brain to keep things organized. I cannot make promises as for
this specific issue, but computer related jobs in general often will be
requiring specificity at some point.

Tony. . .

"Alan M. Goldfarb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...