Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cannot Access NAS Share Folders

Cannot Access NAS Share Folders

George Ioakimedes

I have a newly built WinXP 64-bit machine on my network. The network has 2
Buffalo Terastation NAS. I can see the shares on the NAS' but if I try to
view the contents I just get an hourglass and after ~2 minutes a message
comes up that I don't have permission.

There are several other PCs on the network that can access the NAS'. I tried
turning off ESET antivirus as well as Windows firewall. I've tried accessing
and mapping the drive shares using both the names and the IP addresses
without any luck.

The NAS also have a web interface but I am unable to access that either so
I'm thinking there is some default security setting when you first install
WinXP 64-bit that I need to change but I can't seem to find anything. I've
looked in the event viewer and no errors or warning have been posted to give
me any clues.

I can see other PCs and shares as well as access the other PC's shares so
this is strictly an issue where I cannot access the NAS drives.

I hope someone has an answer because tech support at Buffalo couldn't help me!

Thanks in advance,
George

Charlie Russel - MVP

Is this by any chance an Nvidia chipset motherboard? If so, the following
may apply:

Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

If that isn't it, then start with basic troubleshooting. Can you ping? Also,
you shouldn't turn off the firewall, but rather enable the appropriate rules
to allow it to map drives and authenticate.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"George Ioakimedes" <George http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a newly built WinXP 64-bit machine on my network. The network has 2
> Buffalo Terastation NAS. I can see the shares on the NAS' but if I try to
> view the contents I just get an hourglass and after ~2 minutes a message
> comes up that I don't have permission.
>
> There are several other PCs on the network that can access the NAS'. I
> tried
> turning off ESET antivirus as well as Windows firewall. I've tried
> accessing
> and mapping the drive shares using both the names and the IP addresses
> without any luck.
>
> The NAS also have a web interface but I am unable to access that either so
> I'm thinking there is some default security setting when you first install
> WinXP 64-bit that I need to change but I can't seem to find anything. I've
> looked in the event viewer and no errors or warning have been posted to
> give
> me any clues.
>
> I can see other PCs and shares as well as access the other PC's shares so
> this is strictly an issue where I cannot access the NAS drives.
>
> I hope someone has an answer because tech support at Buffalo couldn't help
> me!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> George

George Ioakimedes

Charlie:

No it's a Gigabyte EX58-Extreme with a new iCore 7 CPU. I can see shares on
other PCs in the network and can quickly map a drive to one of the shares on
the other PCs.

Yes, I can ping both NAS

So I can ping each NAS and see what shares that they have but once I try to
access a share on the NAS I'll get the hourglass for ~2 minutes and then the
message

"\\Ioakstorage\Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available."

I also tried mapping the NAS share using the login name I use for the web
interface that didn't work either.

So it seems that somehow the OS sees the NAS differently than the other PCs
on the network. It's odd that the web interface to the NAS doesn't work
either since I can access the web interface of my router.

I hope you've got another good suggestion on where I can look to open up
whatever is locked down!

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Is this by any chance an Nvidia chipset motherboard? If so, the following
> may apply:
>
> Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
> least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
> this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
> the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.
>
> If that isn't it, then start with basic troubleshooting. Can you ping? Also,
> you shouldn't turn off the firewall, but rather enable the appropriate rules
> to allow it to map drives and authenticate.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "George Ioakimedes" <George (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a newly built WinXP 64-bit machine on my network. The network has 2
> > Buffalo Terastation NAS. I can see the shares on the NAS' but if I try to
> > view the contents I just get an hourglass and after ~2 minutes a message
> > comes up that I don't have permission.
> >
> > There are several other PCs on the network that can access the NAS'. I
> > tried
> > turning off ESET antivirus as well as Windows firewall. I've tried
> > accessing
> > and mapping the drive shares using both the names and the IP addresses
> > without any luck.
> >
> > The NAS also have a web interface but I am unable to access that either so
> > I'm thinking there is some default security setting when you first install
> > WinXP 64-bit that I need to change but I can't seem to find anything. I've
> > looked in the event viewer and no errors or warning have been posted to
> > give
> > me any clues.
> >
> > I can see other PCs and shares as well as access the other PC's shares so
> > this is strictly an issue where I cannot access the NAS drives.
> >
> > I hope someone has an answer because tech support at Buffalo couldn't help
> > me!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > George

Charlie Russel - MVP

I know of no reason why it shouldn't work, George. Therefore, I strongly
suspect something amiss in the AV, or in the NAS itself. I do know that XP
x64 is fussier about RPC packets than 32-bit XP. You might try enabling File
and Printer Sharing in Windows Firewall. And verify that Client for
Microsoft Networks is enabled in the TCP stack. Finally, I'd look at the
network card itself. If it has TCP Offload enabled or large packets, or any
other advanced features, I'd kill them.
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\Tcpip\Parameters).

DisableTaskOffload=1
EnableTCPChimney=0
EnableTCPA=0
EnableRSS=0

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"George Ioakimedes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > accessing
>> > and mapping the drive shares using both the names and the IP addresses
>> > without any luck.
>> >
>> > The NAS also have a web interface but I am unable to access that either
>> > so
>> > I'm thinking there is some default security setting when you first
>> > install
>> > WinXP 64-bit that I need to change but I can't seem to find anything.
>> > I've
>> > looked in the event viewer and no errors or warning have been posted to
>> > give
>> > me any clues.
>> >
>> > I can see other PCs and shares as well as access the other PC's shares
>> > so
>> > this is strictly an issue where I cannot access the NAS drives.
>> >
>> > I hope someone has an answer because tech support at Buffalo couldn't

George Ioakimedes

Charlie:

Looks like you got this one. Turns out if I disable Jumbo Frmaes I'm able to
access the Nas's shares. One NAS is set to use 7k frames and the other is set
for ~9k. I had the NIC set for 9k and everybody else on the network was able
to negotiate fine but the 2 NAS just didn't want to play.

Looks like now I need to try adjusting the frame sizes on everything to see
if I can find a magic setting that everybody will like. Any helpful ideas?

Thanks,
George

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> [...]
> >> may apply:
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
> >> least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it.
> >> And
> >> this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to
> >> install
> >> the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall
> >> it.
> >>
> >> If that isn't it, then start with basic troubleshooting. Can you ping?
> >> Also,
> >> you shouldn't turn off the firewall, but rather enable the appropriate
> >> rules
> >> to allow it to map drives and authenticate.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
> >>
> >> "George Ioakimedes" <George (E-Mail Removed)> wrote

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, Jumbo frames. Will get you every time. Vista/2008 likes them. XP/2003
does not. And the 64-bit version of XP/2003 definitely does not. Go back to
the defaults, whatever that is. (I think it's 4k, but I could be wrong. It's
not anything I ever tinker with!)