Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Acceptable Perfmon values tested on the 70-291??

Acceptable Perfmon values tested on the 70-291??

ISApose

Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked to
figure out why response times were slow with a server.

they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.

Then asks which component is the problem. I guessed wrong, and the
explanation states:

"The HDD is the most likely cause of the problem, as indicated by the high
Logical Disk - Ave Disk Queue Length values in the exhibit. This counter
monitors the number of both read and write requests that were queued for the
selected disk during the sample interval. An acceptable value for this
counter can be determined by adding 2 to the number of spindles present in
the system.... so on, and so on"

QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance counters??
This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.

Is this runoff from 70-290?

JohnB

Where is your practice test question from?

I'm studying for 291 also, and taking practice tests from Kaplan IT, and
there isn't a single question in there like that. There were lots of those
questions on the 290 practice tests.

"ISApose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked
> figure out why response times were slow with a server.
>
> they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
> values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.
>
> Then asks which component is the problem. I guessed wrong, and the
> explanation states:
>
> "The HDD is the most likely cause of the problem, as indicated by the high
> Logical Disk - Ave Disk Queue Length values in the exhibit. This counter
> monitors the number of both read and write requests that were queued for
> the
> selected disk during the sample interval. An acceptable value for this
> counter can be determined by adding 2 to the number of spindles present in
> the system.... so on, and so on"
>
> QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance
> counters??
> This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.
>
> Is this runoff from 70-290?

timm88

I took the 70-291 test a couple months ago...I don't remember if there were
perfmon questions on it , but the microsoft press book I used covers it in
chapter 12. I know I had those questions on the 70-290 test.

"ISApose" wrote:

> Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked to
> figure out why response times were slow with a server.
>
> they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
> values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.
>
> Then asks which component is the problem. I guessed wrong, and the
> explanation states:
>
> "The HDD is the most likely cause of the problem, as indicated by the high
> Logical Disk - Ave Disk Queue Length values in the exhibit. This counter
> monitors the number of both read and write requests that were queued for the
> selected disk during the sample interval. An acceptable value for this
> counter can be determined by adding 2 to the number of spindles present in
> the system.... so on, and so on"
>
> QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance counters??
> This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.
>
> Is this runoff from 70-290?

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"timm88" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I took the 70-291 test a couple months ago...I don't remember if there were
> perfmon questions on it , but the microsoft press book I used covers it
> in
> chapter 12. I know I had those questions on the 70-290 test.

All MSPress Training Kits have references to the specific objectives covered
in the chapter.

In the case of the 70-291 Chapter 12 ("Maintaining a Network
Infrastructure")

Exam Objectives in this Chapter:

Monitor network traffic
Troubleshoot connectivity to the Internet
Troubleshoot server services

>> Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked
>> figure out why response times were slow with a server.
>>
>> they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
>> values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.
>>
>> Then asks which component is the problem.

But I don't see any question like this in my 70-291 MSPress TK Chapter 12...

So I guess we're back to the original question:

Where is your practice test question coming from???

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)

"ISApose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance
> counters??

You *need* to know basic performance requirements for the four subsystems of
interest.

e.g.
Disk Queue Length <= 2 per spindle
CPU Utilization <= 80%
NIC Utilization <=50% (given that 65% utilization is about the practical
ceiling of a NIC)

Remember, 70-291 is about the Network Infrastructure. Everything in a
network infrastructure is dependent on the performance of the servers
supporting that infrastructure.

Of specific note would be the objectives:

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution
Monitor DNS. Tools might include System Monitor, Event Viewer, Replication
Monitor, and DNS debug logs.

Maintaining a Network Infrastructure
Monitor network traffic. Tools might include Network Monitor and System
Monitor.

> This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.

It's also possible that this leaked over from the 70-293.

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

ISApose

Transender

"JohnB" wrote:

> Where is your practice test question from?
>
> I'm studying for 291 also, and taking practice tests from Kaplan IT, and
> there isn't a single question in there like that. There were lots of those
> questions on the 290 practice tests.
>

> "ISApose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello, I am doing practice questions on the 70-291 and one of them asked
> > figure out why response times were slow with a server.
> >
> > they show a table with average, minimum, and maximum performance counter
> > values of Logical Disk, memory, NIC, and proc.
> >
> > Then asks which component is the problem. I guessed wrong, and the
> > explanation states:
> >
> > "The HDD is the most likely cause of the problem, as indicated by the high
> > Logical Disk - Ave Disk Queue Length values in the exhibit. This counter
> > monitors the number of both read and write requests that were queued for
> > the
> > selected disk during the sample interval. An acceptable value for this
> > counter can be determined by adding 2 to the number of spindles present in
> > the system.... so on, and so on"
> >
> > QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance
> > counters??
> > This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.
> >
> > Is this runoff from 70-290?

ISApose

Ok, this makes sense then. Thanks for your help everyone!

"Lawrence Garvin (MVP)" wrote:

> "ISApose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > QUESTION: Should I really study accepable values for performance
> > counters??

> You *need* to know basic performance requirements for the four subsystems of
> interest.
>
> e.g.
> Disk Queue Length <= 2 per spindle
> CPU Utilization <= 80%
> NIC Utilization <=50% (given that 65% utilization is about the practical
> ceiling of a NIC)
>

> Remember, 70-291 is about the Network Infrastructure. Everything in a
> network infrastructure is dependent on the performance of the servers
> supporting that infrastructure.
>
> Of specific note would be the objectives:
>
> Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining Name Resolution
> Monitor DNS. Tools might include System Monitor, Event Viewer, Replication
> Monitor, and DNS debug logs.
>
> Maintaining a Network Infrastructure
> Monitor network traffic. Tools might include Network Monitor and System
> Monitor.
>

> > This information is nowhere in the Microsoft Press book for 70-291.

> It's also possible that this leaked over from the 70-293.

> http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

using perfmon counter to eliminate viewstate memory issue =?Utf-8?B?aGF6eg==?= ASP .Net 2 04-11-2005 07:19 PM
Enable ASP.Net perfmon counters Nic ASP .Net 0 03-01-2005 08:20 PM
Perfmon ASP.NET apps MattC ASP .Net 3 02-15-2005 09:38 AM
ASP.NET perfmon counters all 0 ... ?? Z D ASP .Net 4 02-26-2004 06:21 PM
Private Bytes vs. # Bytes in all Heaps in Perfmon Jason Collins ASP .Net 3 02-18-2004 03:59 PM

Advertisments