Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > copy files from infected drive

copy files from infected drive

Brian Pimm

Hi
I am unable to load Windows XPHome SP 2 due to virus.
When I boot up, windows says loading but then goes to saving your settings
and logging off, The same in safe mode.I want to save some of the files and
don't mind losing the rest.I have tried to use a Knoppix disc[ tested
OK ]but won't load from 'start from CD '
Can I fit the drive to an external case and connect to a clean computer
through an USB port without infecting the host so that I can copy the files
I need?
Any help gratefully received

jc

Brian Pimm wrote:
> Hi
> I am unable to load Windows XPHome SP 2 due to virus.
> When I boot up, windows says loading but then goes to saving your
> settings and logging off, The same in safe mode.I want to save some of
> the files and don't mind losing the rest.I have tried to use a Knoppix
> disc[ tested OK ]but won't load from 'start from CD '

What do you mean it "won't load?" Give a full description of the
sequence. Do you see any lights? What do you see on the screen? Check
the boot order in the BIOS settings.

> Can I fit the drive to an external case and connect to a clean computer
> through an USB port without infecting the host so that I can copy the
> files I need?

There are converter kits for this. Google "usb to ide sata". But there
is some risk that your files are infected. Malicious code can be
executed from a external drive as well. Scan it with Clam from the
Knoppix CD, and if you are confident, start the recovery process from
there. After that I would suggest that you erase the hard drive before
installing Windows again, and start backing up your files religiously!

> Any help gratefully received

jc

Brian Pimm

thanks for all your help