Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Switching windows in PyQT

Switching windows in PyQT

ShanMayne

Greetings All

I am new to PyQT and GUI programming in general. What tutorials I have
found are relatively clear on standard operations within a single
window (QtGui.QWidget or QtGui.QMainWindow). Exiting this window exits
the overall application.

How would I switch between windows, that is close one and open
another, within a running application. I would imagine this to be a
standard feature often coded.

My thanks
Shannon

Дамјан Георгиевски

> I am new to PyQT and GUI programming in general. What tutorials I have
> found are relatively clear on standard operations within a single
> window (QtGui.QWidget or QtGui.QMainWindow). Exiting this window exits
> the overall application.
>
> How would I switch between windows, that is close one and open
> another, within a running application. I would imagine this to be a
> standard feature often coded.

most often you don't close windows but hide them.

Still, the app object has a property quitOnLastWindowClosed that you can
set to false.

--
дамјан ( http://softver.org.mk/damjan/ )

Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A: A canary with the super-user password.

ShanMayne

On Dec 3, 8:12 pm, Дамјан Георгиевски <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I am new to PyQT and GUI programming in general. What tutorials I have
> > found are relatively clear on standard operations within a single
> > window (QtGui.QWidget or QtGui.QMainWindow). Exiting this window exits
> > the overall application.

> > How would I switch between windows, that is close one and open
> > another, within a running application. I would imagine this to be a
> > standard feature often coded.

> most often you don't close windows but hide them.
>
> Still, the app object has a property quitOnLastWindowClosed that you can
> set to false.
>
> --
> дамјан (http://softver.org.mk/damjan/)
>
> Q: What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
> A: A canary with the super-user password.

Thanks, that does sound like a more accessible way of doing it. Would
know where I could find full application code (as an example to me) so
that I can get to grips with the details of it all?

Good stuff, merry be