Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VoipRaider on Unbuntu PC

VoipRaider on Unbuntu PC

dippydoc

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> dippydoc submitted this idea :
>> Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head
>> around this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server
>> does. (And don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for
>> another thread on a very slow news week).

> Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF? I've cured a remote Asterisk
> extension's one-way audio by using STUN but find that DTMF doesn't get
> sent, so cannot dial into voicemail...

The can of worms has now been opened...

It's my understanding that dtmf signalling is either RFC2833 compliant or
not. I did once take a look at a web page that went into detail about
RFC2833 and I left it a couple of minutes later when I sensed that my blood
had drained to my feet. I've not had the nerve to revisit that site, so
I've remained in ignorance of the subject. All I know is that there are
various flavours of dtmf: RFC2833, In Band, Info and Auto and quite likely
others too. Some are a Good ThingT to some providers while others would
declare the same to be an Abomination unto the Gods Of Telephony. I've never
heard of STUN affecting dtmf, although if it does, well, that's just one
more cross to bear.

EDIT Just finished a quick search for some digestable info on this
subject, and https://www.callaphone.net/index.php?/support/faq.html has an
item that recommends that high compression codecs might affect dtmf
transmission.

news1001

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jono
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>dippydoc submitted this idea :
>> Oh yes - To STUN or not to STUN - I've never been able to get my head around
>> this problem, or even to understand what it is that a STUN server does. (And
>> don't get me going about dtmf signalling, but that's for another thread on a
>> very slow news week).

>Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF? I've cured a remote Asterisk
>extension's one-way audio by using STUN but find that DTMF doesn't get
>sent, so cannot dial into voicemail...

Out of interest, could you explain the steps you used for the remote &
stun ?

--
news1001

Paul Hayes

Jono wrote:
> Hmm. Does STUN have an effect on DTMF?

In a word, no. STUN is a protocol for a device behind a nat to talk to
a server to (try to!) determine what kind of nat it is behind and what
it's outside IP address appears to be. Then the SIP client uses this
info to mangle SIP packets it sends out in an attempt to make the SIP
server send return packets to the right place. It's hit and miss at
best really, sometimes it can solve these issues.

DTMF issues aren't going to be related to NAT problems. Make sure
you're using rfc2833 DTMF first of all.

cheers,
Paul.