Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 5 1/4 disks

Re: 5 1/4 disks

JohnO

On Dec 2, 3:28*pm, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any chance?
>
> I am specifically after the double density ones
>
> Thanks

Not sure about the 5.25" ones but I have found that the 3.5" ones seem
to degrade and become unreadable after a number of years.

JohnO

On Dec 3, 4:43*pm, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> JohnO wrote:
> > On Dec 2, 3:28 pm, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any chance?

> >> I am specifically after the double density ones

> >> Thanks

> > Not sure about the 5.25" ones but I have found that the 3.5" ones seem
> > to degrade and become unreadable after a number of years.

> I found that also with 3.5 ones, *I actually found about 20 old disks
> (5.25") and was amazed that all the data on them was intact. *Quite
> amazing really, where as my old collection of 3.5" I seem to have a
> strike rate of about 1 in 10 working.

You'd think with the rigid case and shutter that the 3.5 would last
longer in terms of physical abuse but I guess the magnetic properties
must be less robust than the 5.25.

David Goodwin

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:29:48 -0800 (PST), JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Dec 3, 4:43=A0pm, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> JohnO wrote:

>hance?

>> > Not sure about the 5.25" ones but I have found that the 3.5" ones seem
>> > to degrade and become unreadable after a number of years.

>> I found that also with 3.5 ones, =A0I actually found about 20 old disks
>> (5.25") and was amazed that all the data on them was intact. =A0Quite
>> amazing really, where as my old collection of 3.5" I seem to have a
>> strike rate of about 1 in 10 working.

>You'd think with the rigid case and shutter that the 3.5 would last
>longer in terms of physical abuse but I guess the magnetic properties
>must be less robust than the 5.25.

It certainly seems that way. Ive observed the same thing with my
disks. I suppose it could be something to do with data density.

Most of my 5.25" disks that were used with my parents computer from
about 1987 to 1996 still read fine. Even one fairly badly abused
MS-DOS 3.2 disk that was used to boot the machine every time. 3.5"
disks I used in the late 90s often seem to have problems so I just
imaged them all a while back.

Gordon

On 2008-12-03, JohnO <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 3, 4:43*pm, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> JohnO wrote:
>>
>> I found that also with 3.5 ones, *I actually found about 20 old disks
>> (5.25") and was amazed that all the data on them was intact. *Quite
>> amazing really, where as my old collection of 3.5" I seem to have a
>> strike rate of about 1 in 10 working.

> You'd think with the rigid case and shutter that the 3.5 would last
> longer in terms of physical abuse but I guess the magnetic properties
> must be less robust than the 5.25.

Many, many moons ago, I received the view that quality as in name brand
disks were able to manufacture all the disks right on the limit, while the
no name ones were not. Thus the no name ones had a good as chance as the
named brand ones of working.

Collary, as the technology "improves" so does the influence of the bean
counters. So the modern car engine goes for miles past what the thin steel
body is now capable of. As an example.

Engineers build the prototypes, market forces ensure a different build.