Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: 2 HD different OS

Re: 2 HD different OS

Old Gringo

On Or About This Date In History philo Stumbled Over To The Keyboard
And Pecked Out The Following::
> "Old Gringo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:l9iZk.10121$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have 2 hard drives one with XP Home and one with XP Pro, each on a
>> different computer. Both computers are compatible with each other.
>> The computer with XP Home on it crapped out on me so now I would like
>> to add the Hard Drive with XP Home on it to the computer with XP Pro
>> on it and be able to use either one of the OS. All help will be
>> appreciated, and I will be back to thank you. If you need more info
>> let me know. XP Home is on a WD, and XP Pro is on a Maxtor.
>>

> First off, if you put the XP-home drive in place of the XP-pro drive...
> unless the hardware is close to identical...the system is unlikely to boot.

The hard drives are not identical, one is a Maxtor, the other a WD
But they both work in the XP Pro machine. However the XP Pro hard
drive has a problem which I am waiting for HP to send me a recovery
disk. I have the wd HD in with XP Home running to connect to the
Internet at present.

> If the operating system is not an OEM,
> it might be fixable with a repair install...

> However, even if you got that sorted out,the over-simplified explanation is
> you would not be able to connect it as a slave (or on an other channel)
> as the boot path would not be the same.
>
> If you wanted to install a removable drive kit,
> you could use one drive *or* the other.
>
> Otherwise:
>
> What you can do however...is connect the drive as a slave
> and at least retrieve the data from it...
> and leave it in place for additional storage

Best idea and will go with that.

Thank You

--
Old Gringo