Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > The server unexpectedly closed the connection

The server unexpectedly closed the connection

Joseph Geretz

Visual Studio 2005:

Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
Publishing folder /...
Publishing folder bin...
Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly closed
the connection.
========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Thanks for your advice,

Joseph Geretz

Gregory A. Beamer

The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having them
created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build and/or
specify not to create them.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think Outside the Box! |
"Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Visual Studio 2005:
>
> Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

> Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
> Publishing folder /...
> Publishing folder bin...
> Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly
> closed the connection.
> ========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped
> ==========
> ========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>
> Thanks for your advice,
>
> Joseph Geretz

Joseph Geretz

Hi Gregory,

Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.

Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted per
server?

Thanks!

Joseph Geretz

"Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having them
> created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build
> and/or specify not to create them.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Blog:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

> | Think Outside the Box! |
> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Visual Studio 2005:
>>
>> Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

>> Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
>> Publishing folder /...
>> Publishing folder bin...
>> Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly
>> closed the connection.
>> ========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped
>> ==========
>> ========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>>
>> Thanks for your advice,
>>
>> Joseph Geretz

Joseph Geretz

BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some this
file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a configurable
value, and if so, where can I set this?

Thanks!

Joseph Geretz

"Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.
>
> Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted
> per server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph Geretz
>
> "Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having
>> them created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build
>> and/or specify not to create them.
>>
>> --
>> Gregory A. Beamer
>> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>
>> Blog:
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

>> | Think Outside the Box! |
>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Visual Studio 2005:
>>>
>>> Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

>>> Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
>>> Publishing folder /...
>>> Publishing folder bin...
>>> Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly
>>> closed the connection.
>>> ========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped
>>> ==========
>>> ========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice,
>>>
>>> Joseph Geretz

Jeff Dillon

Why do you need the pdb on the server??

"Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%2390%(E-Mail Removed)...
> BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some this
> file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a
> configurable value, and if so, where can I set this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph Geretz
>
> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.
>>
>> Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted
>> per server?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Joseph Geretz
>>
>> "Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having
>>> them created in the first place. You will have to move to a release
>>> build and/or specify not to create them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gregory A. Beamer
>>> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>>
>>> Blog:
>>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer
>>>
>>> ********************************************
>>> | Think Outside the Box! |
>>> ********************************************
>>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Joseph Geretz

Remote debugging?

But isn't this question a bit beside the point? What is going to happen when
I have a large DLL file which needs to be deployed?

I'd like to know please where the parameter is defined for the maximum size
for an uploaded file.

Thank you,

Joseph Geretz

"Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do you need the pdb on the server??
>
> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%2390%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some this
>> file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a
>> configurable value, and if so, where can I set this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Joseph Geretz
>>
>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Gregory,
>>>
>>> Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.
>>>
>>> Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted
>>> per server?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Joseph Geretz
>>>
>>> "Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jeff Dillon

Not beside the point at all. Have you EVER seen a dll that large? You are
doing remote debugging on a production site??

"Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Remote debugging?
>
> But isn't this question a bit beside the point? What is going to happen
> when I have a large DLL file which needs to be deployed?
>
> I'd like to know please where the parameter is defined for the maximum
> size for an uploaded file.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Joseph Geretz
>
> "Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Why do you need the pdb on the server??
>>
>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%2390%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> BTW, I publish the same application to a variety of servers. On some
>>> this file succeeds, but on others it fails. Is the max upload file a
>>> configurable value, and if so, where can I set this?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Joseph Geretz
>>>
>>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Gregory A. Beamer

The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
before publish is complete.

A better way is to publish locally and then migrate the files to the server,
rather than have VS do it for you. Then you have complete control over the
deployment. When VS 2010 comes out, unless something changes, there will be
even better deploy options.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Blog:

| Think Outside the Box! |
"Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.
>
> Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted
> per server?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joseph Geretz
>
> "Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having
>> them created in the first place. You will have to move to a release build
>> and/or specify not to create them.
>>
>> --
>> Gregory A. Beamer
>> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>
>> Blog:
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

>> | Think Outside the Box! |
>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Visual Studio 2005:
>>>
>>> Why do I get this error when publishing my web application?

>>> Connecting to https://host.domain.com/app/...
>>> Publishing folder /...
>>> Publishing folder bin...
>>> Unable to add 'bin/AppUtils.pdb' to the Web. The server unexpectedly
>>> closed the connection.
>>> ========== Build: 5 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped
>>> ==========
>>> ========== Publish: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice,
>>>
>>> Joseph Geretz

Joseph Geretz

Hi Gregory,

> The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
> that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
> before publish is complete.

Perhaps. I didn't realize that the publication process is so brain-dead,
that it can't accommodate large files. Our own application has been passing
large (multi-meg) files via HTTP since WSE 2.0. It never occurred to me that
Visual Studio Publishing would have difficulty with this.

Oh well. FTP works.

Thanks for your advice,

Joseph Geretz

"Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem comes with network issues. There is not an actual "too large"
> that can be named. What is most likely happening is you are timing out
> before publish is complete.
>
> A better way is to publish locally and then migrate the files to the
> server, rather than have VS do it for you. Then you have complete control
> over the deployment. When VS 2010 comes out, unless something changes,
> there will be even better deploy options.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Blog:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

> | Think Outside the Box! |
> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Gregory,
>>
>> Thanks, that makes sense. This PDB is by far and away the largest file.
>>
>> Followup: Is there a definition for 'too large' and can this be adjusted
>> per server?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Joseph Geretz
>>
>> "Gregory A. Beamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The PDB may be too large. You can avoid publishing them by not having
>>> them created in the first place. You will have to move to a release
>>> build and/or specify not to create them.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gregory A. Beamer
>>> MVP: MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>>>
>>> Blog:
>>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer

>>> | Think Outside the Box! |
>>> "Joseph Geretz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Joseph Geretz

> Not beside the point at all.

Whose point? Yours or mine?