Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect - Python Database Interface 1.0.0

ANN: eGenix mxODBC Connect - Python Database Interface 1.0.0

eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg

ANNOUNCING
eGenix.com mxODBC Connect

Python Database Interface

Version 1.0.0

Our new client-server product for connecting Python applications
to relational databases - from all major platforms

This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
http://www.egenix.com/company/news/e...-1.0.0-GA.html

INTRODUCTION

The mxODBC Connect Database Interface for Python allows users to
easily connect Python applications to all major databases on the
market today in a highly portable and convenient way.

Unlike our mxODBC Python extension, mxODBC Connect is designed
as client-server application, so you no longer need to find production
quality ODBC drivers for all the platforms you target with your Python
application.

Instead you use an easy to install Python client library which
connects directly to the mxODBC Connect database server over the
network.

This makes mxODBC Connect the ideal basis for writing cross-platform
database programs and utilities in Python, especially if you run
applications that need to communicate with databases such as MS SQL
Server and MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix, Sybase
ASE and Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more,
that run on Windows or Linux machines.

By removing the need to install and configure ODBC drivers on the
client side, mxODBC Connect greatly simplifies setup and
configuration of database driven client applications, while at
the same time making the network communication between client and
database server more efficient and more secure.

For more information, please see the product page:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

NEWS

mxODBC Connect 1.0.0 is the first general availability release of our
new mxODBC Connect product.

With this release we have further improved the performance and
round-trip times of the mxODBC Connect network layer even more.

We are now able to achieve a *more than 10 times better performance*
for a typical multi-tier application that runs on Linux and connects
to a MS SQL Server database running on a Windows host, compared to the
same application using mxODBC and the FreeTDS ODBC driver.

Thanks to everyone who participated in the public beta !

DOWNLOADS

The download archives as well as instructions for installation and
configuration of the product can be found on the product page:

http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBCConnect/

Evaluation licenses for the server part are available free of
charge:

http://www.egenix.com/products/pytho...ct/#Evaluation

The client part of mxODBC Connect is always free of charge.

SUPPORT

Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.

Please see

http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

for details about our support offerings.

Enjoy,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Dec 02 200

2008-12-02: Released mxODBC.Connect 1.0.0 http://python.egenix.com/