Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Migrating to a new server

Migrating to a new server

Paul Smith

Migrating to a new server

Hi guys/dolls

I am on the verge of migrating from my old windows 2000 server to a windows
2003 server (why not 2008?) in a few days. Actually all I will be doing is
creating a new active directory user database and move the data from one
server to another. Also I would like to do this procedure whilst users are
working on the old server without having to turn off anything ie: migrating
a user one by one.

Problem is how will I be able to create a new domain and be able to move the
data from a domain to another, and be able to retain admin permissions. Can
you perhaps suggest some tips how I can perform this procedure with minimal
problems in the way?

Many thanks
Paul Archibald Smith

Montreal_MCT

Please refer to my reply (with helpful answer) in
microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa... and then read about cross-posting

Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Migrating to a new server
>
> Hi guys/dolls
>
> I am on the verge of migrating from my old windows 2000 server to a
> windows 2003 server (why not 2008?) in a few days. Actually all I will be
> doing is creating a new active directory user database and move the data
> from one server to another. Also I would like to do this procedure whilst
> users are working on the old server without having to turn off anything
> ie: migrating a user one by one.
>
> Problem is how will I be able to create a new domain and be able to move
> the data from a domain to another, and be able to retain admin
> permissions. Can you perhaps suggest some tips how I can perform this
> procedure with minimal problems in the way?
>
> Many thanks
> Paul Archibald Smith

TBone

And on the eigth day "Paul Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> did cause
the electrons to come together and form the following words:

> Hi guys/dolls

(Cue music)

When you see a guy reach for stars in the sky...

-------

It just shows I've spent waaay too much time in the orchestra pit. However,
I'm too lazy to cut and paste the rest of the lyrics.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL