Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 5 1/4 disks

Re: 5 1/4 disks

Nik Coughlin

"Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49349d89$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any
> chance?
>
> I am specifically after the double density ones

No, but curious, for legacy hardware?

Nik Coughlin

"Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49349f13$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> "Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:49349d89$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Anyone have any of these lying around they want to get rid of by any
>>> chance?
>>>
>>> I am specifically after the double density ones

>> No, but curious, for legacy hardware?

> You might say that, for an 8-bit Atari

The only thing I could find was this:
http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html

Horrible, horrible site

shocker shocker is offline
Junior Member

Is it just my or am I on a diffrent Boat?

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> "Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:49349f13$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You might say that, for an 8-bit Atari

>> The only thing I could find was this:
>> http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html
>>
>> Horrible, horrible site

> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting dust or
> they are just thrown out.
>
> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when I
> first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my birthday. It
> seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had been using. Then I
> managed to save up enough to buy some mod that turned it into a true
> double density drive. It seemed like a big deal back then. That was
> like 20 years ago when games were great!
>
> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it too
much ... unless they have computers in hell.

--
- Nic.

Enkidu

Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> "Puddle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:49349f13$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The only thing I could find was this:
>>> http://www.oldsoftware.com/floppy_disks.html
>>>
>>> Horrible, horrible site

>> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
>> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
>> dust or they are just thrown out.
>>
>> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
>> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
>> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
>> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
>> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
>> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
>>
>> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.

Yeah, they all run Windows.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
>>> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
>>> dust or they are just thrown out.
>>>
>>> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
>>> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
>>> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
>>> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
>>> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
>>> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
>>>
>>> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
>>

> Yeah, they all run Windows.

LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was going to say
before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say "Yeah /and/ they all run
Windows.")
--
Shaun.

Your Name

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49350546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
> > On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:

> >> They are hard to find these days though I am sure there are lots of
> >> people that probably have them stored in a basement collecting
> >> dust or they are just thrown out.
> >>
> >> Makes you realize how far things have moved though, I remember when
> >> I first got a 5.25 inch disk drive for the atari 8bit for my
> >> birthday. It seemed amazing compared with the tape recorder I had
> >> been using. Then I managed to save up enough to buy some mod that
> >> turned it into a true double density drive. It seemed like a big
> >> deal back then. That was like 20 years ago when games were great!
> >>
> >> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

> > In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
> > too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
> >

> Yeah, they all run Windows.

Rats! You beat me to it.

Enkidu

~misfit~ wrote:
> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

>>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
>>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
>>>

>> Yeah, they all run Windows.

> LOL, thanks Cliff, I've still got it. I knew what your post was going to say
> before I clicked it. (Actually I thought you'd say "Yeah /and/ they all run
> Windows.")

It did rather beg for it.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Tax is not theft.

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:05:17 +1300, Your Name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<news:gh449f$qne$(E-Mail Removed)>:

> "Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:49350546$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:

>>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
>>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
>>>

>> Yeah, they all run Windows.

> Rats! You beat me to it.

I fink youse buggers is PICKIN' on me! <snif>

--
- Nic.

Nik Coughlin

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49350546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:58:55 +1300, Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in <news:(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>>
>>> Makes you wonder what things will be like in 20 years time.

>> In twenty years' time I don't think I'll be worrying myself about it
>> too much ... unless they have computers in hell.
>>

> Yeah, they all run Windows.

Yeah, they all run Windows ME.

Fixed it for you