Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: 5 1/4 disks

Re: 5 1/4 disks

Carnations

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:13:15 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Ok, so explain to me how I can use solidworks, autosketch, photoshop,
> illustrator, MS word and excel and sometimes powerpoint on the operating
> system that you choose to use?

Can't comment on the first two as I've not heard of them before.

Photoshop (and presumably Illustrator too) runs nicely under Wine. There
are alternatives to MS word and MS Excel that work nicely and will
probably more than meet your requirements.

I imagine that all your named applications would work just as well under
MacOS.

--
Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
company that flogs third rate technology products."

Richard

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:13:15 +1300, Richard wrote:
>
>> Ok, so explain to me how I can use solidworks, autosketch, photoshop,
>> illustrator, MS word and excel and sometimes powerpoint on the operating
>> system that you choose to use?

> Can't comment on the first two as I've not heard of them before.
>
> Photoshop (and presumably Illustrator too) runs nicely under Wine. There
> are alternatives to MS word and MS Excel that work nicely and will
> probably more than meet your requirements.
>
> I imagine that all your named applications would work just as well under
> MacOS.

No, I have tried openoffice.org and is certainly doesn't meet
requirements. Not interested in switching OS, vista does all I need,
does it pretty well and I find nothing wrong with it. If things go slow
I just close a few things down and it comes right. The only annoying
thing I find is rebooting to install updates.

EMB

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:13:15 +1300, Richard wrote:
>
>> Ok, so explain to me how I can use solidworks, autosketch, photoshop,
>> illustrator, MS word and excel and sometimes powerpoint on the operating
>> system that you choose to use?

> Can't comment on the first two as I've not heard of them before.
>
> Photoshop (and presumably Illustrator too) runs nicely under Wine.

FSVO of running - IME it's akin to running through a vat of treacle.

Carnations

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 17:57:51 +1300, Richard wrote:

> No, I have tried openoffice.org and is certainly doesn't meet
> requirements.

In what way does it not meet your requirements?

what do you do with a word processor and a spreadsheet that you can't do
with OOo?

--

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:53:47 +1300, EMB wrote:

>> Can't comment on the first two as I've not heard of them before.
>>
>> Photoshop (and presumably Illustrator too) runs nicely under Wine.

> FSVO of running - IME it's akin to running through a vat of treacle.

What does "FSVO" mean?

--

Carnations wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:53:47 +1300, EMB wrote:
>
>>> Can't comment on the first two as I've not heard of them before.
>>>
>>> Photoshop (and presumably Illustrator too) runs nicely under Wine.

>> FSVO of running - IME it's akin to running through a vat of treacle.

> What does "FSVO" mean?

Exactly the same as it did when you asked me about it a couple of months
ago.

Carnations

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:15:59 +1300, EMB wrote:

>> What does "FSVO" mean?

> Exactly the same as it did when you asked me about it a couple of months
> ago.

And that was... what?

--
Dilger: "Microsoft is first and foremost a marketing
company that flogs third rate technology products."

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=FSVO

--