Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > request tracking system

request tracking system

grasp06110@gmail.com

Hi Everybody,

I have a somewhat flexible requirement for a request tracking system.
Something similar to Bugzilla or Amazon's Where's My Stuff that would
be amenable to a web interface. The simpler the better. Any
recommendations, success, or horror stories?

Thanks,
John

John B. Matthews

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,

[...]
> I have a somewhat flexible requirement for a request tracking system.
> Something similar to Bugzilla or Amazon's Where's My Stuff that would
> be amenable to a web interface. The simpler the better. Any
> recommendations, success, or horror stories?

I've had positive experiences using trac with subversion:

<http://trac.edgewall.org/>
<http://subversion.tigris.org/>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Roedy Green

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:22:51 -0800 (PST), (E-Mail Removed) wrote,

>I have a somewhat flexible requirement for a request tracking system.
>Something similar to Bugzilla or Amazon's Where's My Stuff that would
>be amenable to a web interface. The simpler the better. Any
>recommendations, success, or horror stories?

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jira.html
does what is claims to do.

However, I worked on a project with it. The boss was so enamoured of
it I am pretty sure everyone spent more time updating the database
than doing useful work.

It really is just a glorified shared to do list.

I used another system back in the 1970s. It was a running joke,
because after a while, EVERY task was 95% complete with no new
progress.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Owen Jacobson

On Dec 1, 2:22*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have a somewhat flexible requirement for a request tracking system.
> Something similar to Bugzilla or Amazon's Where's My Stuff that would
> be amenable to a web interface. *The simpler the better. *Any
> recommendations, success, or horror stories?

+1 JIRA. I'm so happy with it I went and installed it for my own bug
tracking (they offer a free personal license). I've also had good luck
with Trac for simple projects.

Redmine looks like an interesting Trac replacement, and it's on my
list of "things to play with": the whole Trac featureset, minus
plugins, plus some other useful things out of the box.

Picking a bug or task tracker does mean staring hard at the kinds of
things you want to track. Trac, Bugzilla, Scarab, et al are heavily
oriented towards tracking software bugs, so if you're going to be
tracking individual customer service requests you probably want
something more like RT (which sucks, but works for that).

-o