Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can "bin" be changed to "cgi-bin" for asp.net

Can "bin" be changed to "cgi-bin" for asp.net

Kevin Mitchell

I have an NT shared hosting account, but the provider names the script/write
folder cgi-bin. I want to place DLLs in the cgi-bin directory and get them
to work in my Web applications.

What do I need to do to get my application to look for DLLs in the cgi-bin
folder instead of the default bin folder?

Can I expect success in getting DLLs to work in this way -- or, do I need to
upgrade from a shared hosting to a dedicated server account?

Thank you
Kevin

Wim Hollebrandse

The CLR does try to locate assemblies in the \bin directory of a web application. I don't think that can be changed.

What makes you think you can't create a working bin directory in the root of your web app? The default permissions for the ASP Worker Process account are read, execute, list folder and should work without problem.

Regards,
Wim Hollebrandse
http://www.wimdows.net
http://www.wimdows.com

---
Posted using Wimdows.net Newsgroups - http://www.wimdows.net/newsgroups/

Sergiy Savchenko

Specifies application base subdirectories for the common language runtime to
search when loading assemblies.

<configuration>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding>
<probing>
<probing privatePath="paths"/>

Example
The following example shows how to specify application base subdirectories
the runtime should search for assemblies.
<configuration>
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<probing privatePath="bin;bin2\subbin;bin3"/>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>
</configuration>
Configuration File
This element can be used in the application configuration file.

"Kevin Mitchell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nfpkb.499601$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> I have an NT shared hosting account, but the provider names the

script/write
> folder cgi-bin. I want to place DLLs in the cgi-bin directory and get them
> to work in my Web applications.
>
> What do I need to do to get my application to look for DLLs in the cgi-bin
> folder instead of the default bin folder?
>
> Can I expect success in getting DLLs to work in this way -- or, do I need

> upgrade from a shared hosting to a dedicated server account?
>
> Thank you
> Kevin

Wim Hollebrandse

What a gem!