Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > list-style-image in IE7

list-style-image in IE7

Jukka K. Korpela

GTalbot wrote:

>> Just wondering if anyone has run into this and might have a solution?
>> I have googled quite a bit and it seems that there is no way to
>> change the vertical positioning of a list-style-image.

> List-markers are not supposed to be movable vertically to begin with.

Well, right, in the sense that CSS currently offers no way to affect them.
I'm sure many people would _want_ list markers (whether characters or
images) to be movable.

There are different workarounds, like
a) putting markers (as images or as text characters) into list item content
(and using list-style-type: none !important to suppress any
browser-generated markers); works on all browsers, makes marker position
styleable, but requires extra work and care
b) using generated content and styling it, to the extent it can be styled;
does not work for most users since generated content still has poor support
c) making the marker image a background image for list item element (for
which you set some suitable left padding), using background positioning to
set the vertical position.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/