Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

gerry

On Nov 18, 8:49*am, ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
> still no CC.
>
> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
> appreiciated
>
> ABC

Strange, the Region 1 DVD of this series, released by BBC Warner, is
supposed to have English subtitles, so there is no reason to worry
about decoding line 21 NTSC closed captioniong.

Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dvd-video, Subtitled, Ntsc

Netmask

"gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Nov 18, 8:49 am, ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
> still no CC.
>
> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
> appreiciated
>
> ABC

Strange, the Region 1 DVD of this series, released by BBC Warner, is
supposed to have English subtitles, so there is no reason to worry
about decoding line 21 NTSC closed captioniong.

Format: Closed-captioned, Color, Dvd-video, Subtitled, Ntsc

except CC includes information like "sombre music, door closes, car drives
away etc" whilst subtitles normally just include the actual dialog. It's so
that folk with hearing difficulties can make better sense of the action
especially where sound design is a big feature in the editing of the film.