Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > copying dvd's with bad sectors?

copying dvd's with bad sectors?

aaronep@pacbell.net

can anyone suggest a software program that would enable a dvd disk to
be copied that has bad sectors? I am using Windows XP w/service pak
2.
Best, Aaron

RickMerrill

> can anyone suggest a software program that would enable a dvd disk to
> be copied that has bad sectors? I am using Windows XP w/service pak
> 2.
> Best, Aaron

I use ISOBUSTER - it even works for 'unfinalized' disks.

AnimalMagic

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:18:59 -0500, RickMerrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> can anyone suggest a software program that would enable a dvd disk to
>> be copied that has bad sectors? I am using Windows XP w/service pak
>> 2.
>> Best, Aaron

>I use ISOBUSTER - it even works for 'unfinalized' disks.

Sounds great, but optical discs are not sector based, so what he wants
is data recovery, not "sector" recovery.

PapaBear

It could just be a reading problem. I have Lite-On and LG burners. The
Lite-On refuses to read some DVDs returning a CRC error. Why? Its reading
software is less forgiving of errors, and it quits trying fairly soon.
However the LG almost invariably reads those same DVD discs OK. Why? The LG
is a slower reader and more forgiving of errors, also tries for a much
longer time to read errors. If it fails, sometimes trying again several
times will eventually get a good read.But if the LG absolutely fails after
repeated attempts, I clean the disc and try again, which often works. So I
suggest that you try those methods first. If there is no other way then
there is specialty software such as ISOBUSTER that might work for partial
recovery of the data.
--
PB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> can anyone suggest a software program that would enable a dvd disk to
> be copied that has bad sectors? I am using Windows XP w/service pak
> 2.
> Best, Aaron

Charlie+

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:18:59 -0500, RickMerrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote as underneath my scribble :

I agree with Rick, and ISOBuster is by far the quickest of the repair progs
that I have tried, also from my experience as long as the disk is not
misreading from physical damage to the optical surface (in that case then
repair the surface as a first) then options to multiple retry reading are
not worth a candle and you just increase the copy time taken!
Some progs will try to repair with a settable statistical % closeness to
the original but they take forever per block and dont seem worth the effort
and time for an imperfect result that is no better in playing than a repair
under ISOBuster imho.
Charlie+