Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Iexplorer 7 opens up to 85 clone copies viewable in the tasklist only

Iexplorer 7 opens up to 85 clone copies viewable in the tasklist only

koolkrogh@gmail.com

Hi

I have a peculiar problem. When I open internet explorer (version 7 -
32 bit) this program, sometimes, quickly becomes unstable and
impossible to work with. I realised that my tasklist was swarmed with
iexplorer tasks, and I could barely shut these tasks down before new
ones appeared. I have no apparent virus, but I have run cc cleaner to
clean up a.o. the Registry files.

My PC is a quad core, 4GB RAM, 64 bit windows vista business edition.
ALL available updates from MS have been isntalled as well as virus
protection (AVG) and windows defender has run regularly.

Unfortunately some of my banking sites cannot be accessed via Chrome
which is why need to find a lasting solution.

As the problem is not constant I am having difficulties solving this.
Iexplorer can be perfectly normal for a few days then suddenly start
to act as described.

Any ideas would be helpful -

chris

Ralph

Have you tried resetting IE back to factory specs, or running it without
add-ons?

Without add-ons, is located in Accessories->System Tools.
If this is OK, something you've added is causing the problem.
If so, start by removing any toolbars from Programs and Features.

Before I do my weekly scans, I always delete the cookies and temp files.
That cuts down on scanning time, (marginally) and makes the result perfectly
boring. (nothing ever gets found)
If I have any trouble with IE, resetting it back to defaults has always
worked for me.
'Course, I also have no toolbars, which IE is fussy about, and a Start
folder with one item in it.
My system is so boring... it works.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a peculiar problem. When I open internet explorer (version 7 -
> 32 bit) this program, sometimes, quickly becomes unstable and
> impossible to work with. I realised that my tasklist was swarmed with
> iexplorer tasks, and I could barely shut these tasks down before new
> ones appeared. I have no apparent virus, but I have run cc cleaner to
> clean up a.o. the Registry files.
>
> My PC is a quad core, 4GB RAM, 64 bit windows vista business edition.
> ALL available updates from MS have been isntalled as well as virus
> protection (AVG) and windows defender has run regularly.
>
> Unfortunately some of my banking sites cannot be accessed via Chrome
> which is why need to find a lasting solution.
>
> As the problem is not constant I am having difficulties solving this.
> Iexplorer can be perfectly normal for a few days then suddenly start
> to act as described.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful -
>
> chris

Charlie Russel - MVP

You might want to ask this question over on
microsoft.public.security.homeusers newsgroup. It sounds very much like
you've been infected with malware, and the regulars on that newsgroup are
really good at helping to clean up the mess from this sort of thing.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> I have a peculiar problem. When I open internet explorer (version 7 -
> 32 bit) this program, sometimes, quickly becomes unstable and
> impossible to work with. I realised that my tasklist was swarmed with
> iexplorer tasks, and I could barely shut these tasks down before new
> ones appeared. I have no apparent virus, but I have run cc cleaner to
> clean up a.o. the Registry files.
>
> My PC is a quad core, 4GB RAM, 64 bit windows vista business edition.
> ALL available updates from MS have been isntalled as well as virus
> protection (AVG) and windows defender has run regularly.
>
> Unfortunately some of my banking sites cannot be accessed via Chrome
> which is why need to find a lasting solution.
>
> As the problem is not constant I am having difficulties solving this.
> Iexplorer can be perfectly normal for a few days then suddenly start
> to act as described.
>
> Any ideas would be helpful -
>
> chris

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
We did see this once as an error condition with Outlook Express during the
beta, so the question needs to asked if the 32-bit or 64-bit Outlook
Express client is being used. The 64-bit client should not be having this
issue, but the 32-bit IE is used so it will call a 32-bit email client.
Check the default email handlers in IE and try changing them or even not
identifying one to check to see if this still repros.
When we saw this is was an error message that was being displayed multiple
times.
Each time the repetative error would open separate IE windows, each time
it displaying the same error code until it ran out of resources.
It is depleting Desktop Heap, so that is probably why it stops at around 85
instances and the system is extremely sluggish.
What is displayed on each IE instance? Is the home page or is it an error
message?
What other applications are running?

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

To clone or not to clone.. lordy Java 3 07-07-2006 04:30 PM
Tasklist command Sen Chao Fang Computer Support 1 09-14-2004 06:41 PM
Unable to use tasklist PT Wang Computer Security 0 01-06-2004 02:14 AM
aspx pages not viewable Lee Hopkins ASP .Net 9 07-31-2003 02:45 AM
HowTo export the VisualStudio Project Code to HTML Viewable like IBUYPORTAL Andreas Klemt ASP .Net 2 07-24-2003 02:18 PM

Advertisments