Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Mail hosting

Mail hosting

Ray Greene

I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.

Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
idea, plus it's free.

Any comments or suggestions?
--
Ray Greene

EMB

Ray Greene wrote:
> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>
> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
> idea, plus it's free.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
domains/mailboxes/forwards.

Stephen Worthington

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:27:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
>name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>
>Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
>is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
>account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
>wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
>idea, plus it's free.
>
>Any comments or suggestions?

I do not think that DynDNS's MailHop service is free. Their web site
lists "MailHop Forward Lite" as US$32.50 and "MailHop Forward" as
US$42.50 per year.

What I have been doing for ages is to run my own SMTP server. I
signed up for DynDNS's Custom DNS service back when it was free and
true to their word it is still free. I have that DNS set up to point
the primary MX record to my PC and a backup MX record to DynDNS's
MailHop Backup MX service. I have to pay US$32.50 per year for the
Backup MX service, but it is well worth that. They have multiple
geographically separated servers and I have never had a problem with
it. I have been using this setup for at least 5 years and it works
well. Whenever I shift ISPs I have to just change the SMTP server to
forward emails via the new ISP SMTP server, and change my SPF records
to say that the ISP server is a valid source of my emails. My script
that sets up the dynamic IP address automatically handles changing
that. When my SMTP server is down, the MailHop servers keep my emails
for a long time, and they do not seem storage limited either. I was
once away for a couple of weeks on holiday and my server PC went down
due to a power failure the day after I left. When I got back, there
was several hundred megs of email to receive from the MailHop servers,
but nothing was lost.

There are disadvantages to running your own SMTP server, such as
having to do your own spam filtering. And have a PC running a lot of
the time to run the SMTP server (but I do that anyway to run my web
server). But I can have as many email addresses as I like, and invent
a new one when I think it is going to attract spam and then delete it
when I am finished using it.

A 10 MiB attachment limit is pretty standard - not many SMTP servers
will default to anything bigger. I put big files on blind URLs on my
web server and email the URL.

Ray Greene

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:20:29 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
>> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>>
>> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
>> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
>> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
>> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
>> idea, plus it's free.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions?

>www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
>domains/mailboxes/forwards.

That looks like a pretty good deal. 750MB storage is enough for my
needs.

--
Ray Greene

EMB

Ray Greene wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:20:29 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
>>> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>>>
>>> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
>>> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
>>> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
>>> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
>>> idea, plus it's free.
>>>
>>> Any comments or suggestions?

>> www.kiwihosting.net - $72PA for hosting with unlimited
>> domains/mailboxes/forwards.

> That looks like a pretty good deal. 750MB storage is enough for my
> needs.

I've used them for the last few years, with no serious issues and good
quick response to support queries. They are currently migrating to a
new hosting provider which seems from my so far limited testing to be a
big improvement over what was already pretty good.

Dave Doe

says...
> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>
> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
> idea, plus it's free.
>
> Any comments or suggestions?

I use dnsmadeeasy.com backup mail option (three MX records) for
$12.95/year (USD).
eg.
10 mail.me.com (client IP)
20 MX1.dnseasy...
30 MX2.dnseasy...
40 MX3.dnseasy...

Have a look at there other options maybe (eg full mail hosting).

--
Duncan

Ray Greene

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:35:30 GMT, Stephen Worthington
<(E-Mail Removed)34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:27:20 +1300, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
>>name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>>
>>Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
>>is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
>>account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
>>wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
>>idea, plus it's free.
>>
>>Any comments or suggestions?

>I do not think that DynDNS's MailHop service is free. Their web site
>lists "MailHop Forward Lite" as US$32.50 and "MailHop Forward" as
>US$42.50 per year.

Damn, you're right. I must have misread that somehow...

>What I have been doing for ages is to run my own SMTP server. I
>signed up for DynDNS's Custom DNS service back when it was free and
>true to their word it is still free. I have that DNS set up to point
>the primary MX record to my PC and a backup MX record to DynDNS's
>MailHop Backup MX service. I have to pay US$32.50 per year for the
>Backup MX service, but it is well worth that. They have multiple
>geographically separated servers and I have never had a problem with
>it. I have been using this setup for at least 5 years and it works
>well. Whenever I shift ISPs I have to just change the SMTP server to
>forward emails via the new ISP SMTP server, and change my SPF records
>to say that the ISP server is a valid source of my emails. My script
>that sets up the dynamic IP address automatically handles changing
>that. When my SMTP server is down, the MailHop servers keep my emails
>for a long time, and they do not seem storage limited either. I was
>once away for a couple of weeks on holiday and my server PC went down
>due to a power failure the day after I left. When I got back, there
>was several hundred megs of email to receive from the MailHop servers,
>but nothing was lost.

Sounds like good service from DynDNS. I've only ever used them for
dynamic DNS but they always looked like a very competent outfit.

>There are disadvantages to running your own SMTP server, such as
>having to do your own spam filtering. And have a PC running a lot of
>the time to run the SMTP server (but I do that anyway to run my web
>server). But I can have as many email addresses as I like, and invent
>a new one when I think it is going to attract spam and then delete it
>when I am finished using it.

I thought about running my own SMTP server again but I just can't be
bothered maintaining one at the moment.

>A 10 MiB attachment limit is pretty standard - not many SMTP servers
>will default to anything bigger. I put big files on blind URLs on my
>web server and email the URL.

10MB isn't too bad. Gmail do 20MB but then they do everything bigger.
I use YouSendIt for large attachments but having your own web server
is a pretty good option.

--
Ray Greene

Peter

Ray Greene wrote:
> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage

What do you consider "quite expensive"?

Email only plans are available from around NZ$50 pa.
For example, Webfarm ...
http://www.freeparking.co.nz/

HTH

Peter

Ray Greene

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:00:11 +1300, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> I'm thinking of changing ISPs at some point so I got my own domain
>> name for email. I'm now looking at the options for mail hosting.
>>
>> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage so my latest idea
>> is to use DynDNSs free Mailhop service to forward mail to a Gmail
>> account. Apart from DynDNSs 10MB attachment size limit - which
>> wouldn't be a problem most of the time - I don't see any flaws in the
>> idea, plus it's free.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions?

>I use dnsmadeeasy.com backup mail option (three MX records) for
>$12.95/year (USD).
>eg.
>10 mail.me.com (client IP)
>20 MX1.dnseasy...
>30 MX2.dnseasy...
>40 MX3.dnseasy...
>
>Have a look at there other options maybe (eg full mail hosting).

Thanks for the suggestion Dave. It looks OK except for the limited
storage quotas. I think kiwihosting might be a better deal.

-
Ray Greene

Ray Greene

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:10:33 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Most hosting is quite expensive with limited storage

>What do you consider "quite expensive"?
>
>Email only plans are available from around NZ$50 pa.
>For example, Webfarm ...
>http://www.freeparking.co.nz/

I'd forgotten about them. They are more expensive than kiwihosting
when you compare storage size but I'll keep then in mind.

--
Ray Greene