Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: 10Ghz CPUs

Re: 10Ghz CPUs

pickled

It's the heat.
It killed the Pentium 4.
The next evolution in CPUs is likely to be GPUs, once programmers can figure
out how to serial processes parallel.

- Bobb -

"pickled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MQpYk.9931$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's the heat.
> It killed the Pentium 4.
> The next evolution in CPUs is likely to be GPUs, once programmers can
> figure out how to serial processes parallel.

Also need to consider the code. A PC isn't going to need to operate at that
speed while running ~ Vista for example. Easier to have "slower"/redundant
CPU's rather than one superfast CPU. It would always be waiting for the code
to execute unless solid state disk - then caching issue. There is a
commercial/research market for that fast stuff ( Cray, etc) but not for the
masses. It was one thing to go from a 386 to a 486 - Pentium , etc BUT most
consumers can 'get by' with a 1,2,3 GHz CPU just fine and won't spend big
bucks for a faster PC.

There was a link in one of these newsgroups the other day ( I cannot find it
now) that pointed to a picture of the instructions necessary to just open a
webpage using IE : it was mind-boggling - so even if that could all happen
at 100ghz, still waiting for memory, or a disk drive to spin, or server to
reply etc.