Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > RAM Boosting programs --- are they worth it?

RAM Boosting programs --- are they worth it?

Bob I

Important corrections made to this posting

db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. . wrote:

> not really.
>
> they serve and fulfill
> two unspecific purposes.
>
> one, they are utilities and
> tools towards wasting the computers
> use of resources, and
>
> two, they are utilities that do nothing
> useful to the end user

PCLicious PCLicious is offline
Junior Member

From my experience RAM boosting does not work.

db.·.. >

you're whining.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. . wrote:

> not really.
>
> they serve and fulfill
> two unspecific purposes.
>
> one, they are utilities and
> tools towards wasting the computers
> use of resources, and
>
> two, they are utilities that do nothing
> useful to the end user

Twayne

> db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. . wrote:
>> those programs are
>> designed for machines
>> with low resources.
>>

> No, those programs are designed for gullible, technically ignorant
> people. Like registry cleaners, they're pure snake oil.

So sayeth the tiniest, most closed minded candidate on the 'net. There
IS one place this "snake oil" analogy (stolen from a M. R. article)
works and that's to describe Brucey's plethora of misinformation and
misleading posts. There is only one way to think; his way. Whether he
knows what he's talking about or not.

Twayne

> Important corrections made to this posting
>
> db.·.. ><))) ·>` .. . wrote:
>
>> not really.
>>
>> they serve and fulfill
>> two unspecific purposes.
>>
>> one, they are utilities and
>> tools towards wasting the computers
>> use of resources, and
>>
>> two, they are utilities that do nothing
> > useful to the end user

Another puppet/parrot heard from. Too much trouble to think for itself.

Ken Blake, MVP

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:07:27 +0000, Cork Soaker
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:03:48 -0800 (PST), Hari Hari Mau
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, all !
> >>
> >> I have a quad-core machine, with 16GB of RAM.
> >>
> >> I use it for very heavy duty rendering jobs, requiring lots and lots
> >> and LOTS of memory.
> >>
> >> Even with the 16 GB of memory and XP 64-bits, there are times the
> >> thing goes to paged RAM.
> >>
> >> Currently I have 2 choices --- either change the mobo and upgrade the
> >> RAM to 32 GB, or getting one of those "RAM Boosting" programs to
> >> manage the RAM usage. Thus, my question ---
> >>
> >> Do those "RAM Boosting" programs work?

> > No.
> >

> Windows will page no matter how much RAM you have. Are you talking
> about a specific program?

First, you replied to my message, not the original poster's. No, *I*
am not talking about any specific program. Ask the original poster
what he was talking about, not me.

Second, it's not really correct that "Windows will page no matter how
much RAM you have." You are mixing up page file use with page
file allocation. They are not the same thing. Far and away the best
piece on the page file written is this article by the late MVP Alex
Nichol: "Virtual Memory in Windows XP" at
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php I recommend you read this to
better understand how all this works.

To find out how much page you actually use (as opposed to allocate),
go to http://billsway.com/notes%5Fpublic/winxp%5Ftweaks/ and download
WinXP-2K_Pagefile.zip to monitor your pagefile usage.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup