Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista Repair After Replacing Motherboard

Vista Repair After Replacing Motherboard

Sleepy-Tom

Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot up.

I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no luck.

Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Sleepy-Tom wrote:

> Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot
> up. I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no
> luck. Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.

You replaced a major piece of hardware. Perhaps Microsoft wants you to
purchase another copy of the operating system - which was inexorably
tied to the old board.

Basic question: where exactly in the boot process does it stop?

--
-bts

wisdomkiller & pain

Sleepy-Tom wrote:

> Ive had to replace a dead motherboard and now vistaHP will not boot up.
>
> I tried the repair options and chkdisk with the Vista DVD but no luck.
>
> Dont really want to wipe and reinstall.

Unless your new mainboard is exactly the same brand and make, your vista has
already customized itself to fit only on that special mobo.
If you have a recovery or OEM version, it may be tight-fitted to the bios or
mainboard and the license expires with the computer/mainboard dying.