Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

Re: the better OS to use for older hardware ?

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , robb
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>I have not been keeping up with hardware and OS changes of late
>(3 yrs... ok 8 yrs) and i was wondering if there is a better OS
>to install on older hardware.
>
>Eg Dell inspiron 8100 PIII/866 Mhz
>
>and by better i mean something faster, smaller and less buggy
>than my recollection of M$ windoze bloatware unless their newer
>OS solved all the earlier versions ( 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP ...)
>quirks :}
>
>I was looking for something different /fun/interesting to play
>with on the old notebook. Does not need to be commercially
>supported or have a large pool of commercial app knock offs.
>
>thanks for any helpful advice,
>
>robb
>
>sorry sci.elec.misc group but you guys seem to do this stuff
>alot and you have been helpful in that past

Try Ubuntu Linux, seems to work fine on a couple of old PC's here...
--
Tony Sayer

Eeyore

tony sayer wrote:

> Try Ubuntu Linux, seems to work fine on a couple of old PC's here...

But beware it needs more RAM than they claim in some instances. Has me
running round in circles until I installed an extra 128M.

Graham