Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Very strange harddisk problem

Very strange harddisk problem

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

Hi guys,

This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
is what has happened, and what I have done.

1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
- cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
Samsung SATA.

2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
etc.

4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
spin up and the PC boots into windows.

So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
see if it spins up.

Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
in the HP?

Cheers in advance,

-Al

Jesco Lincke

> Hi guys,
>
> This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
> is what has happened, and what I have done.
>
> 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
> a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
> - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
> Samsung SATA.
>
> 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
> wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.
>
> 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
> bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
> etc.
>
> 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
> via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
> spin up and the PC boots into windows.
>
> So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
> changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
> should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.
>
> 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
> Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
> would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.
>
> I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
> see if it spins up.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
> in the HP?
>
> Cheers in advance,
>
> -Al

Provided you are sure you actually reproduced the same connection with
both drives:
Have you also tried different power/data cables?
Did you try an measure voltage on the HD power connector?
Can you try and measure voltage drop (via a different connector) during
boot with the "faulty" drive connected?

Maybe more ideas will come up (others will certailny have more)

Good luck,

Jesco

The Real Truth MVP

Motherboard?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
> is what has happened, and what I have done.
>
> 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
> a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
> - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
> Samsung SATA.
>
> 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
> wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.
>
> 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
> bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
> etc.
>
> 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
> via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
> spin up and the PC boots into windows.
>
> So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
> changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
> should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.
>
> 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
> Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
> would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.
>
> I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
> see if it spins up.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
> in the HP?
>
> Cheers in advance,
>
> -Al

Nelson Ogden

Are you connecting the problem hard drive with the four pin Molex power
connector or the thin SATA connector?

Are you using the same type of power connector both in the computer and in
the USB adapter?

- Nelson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
> is what has happened, and what I have done.
>
> 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
> a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
> - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
> Samsung SATA.
>
> 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
> wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.
>
> 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
> bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
> etc.
>
> 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
> via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
> spin up and the PC boots into windows.
>
> So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
> changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
> should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.
>
> 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
> Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
> would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.
>
> I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
> see if it spins up.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
> in the HP?
>
> Cheers in advance,
>
> -Al

chuckcar

"The Real Truth MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ggpnju$99f$(E-Mail Removed):

> Motherboard?

Read a bit slower. It POSTS and then says no HD.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

The Real Truth MVP

What the hell does the HD plug into? the Monitor? asshole.

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "The Real Truth MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ggpnju$99f$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Motherboard?
>>

> Read a bit slower. It POSTS and then says no HD.
>

> --
> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Arno Wagner

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi guys,

> This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
> is what has happened, and what I have done.

> 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
> a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
> - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
> Samsung SATA.

> 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
> wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

> 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
> bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
> etc.

> 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
> via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
> spin up and the PC boots into windows.

> So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
> changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
> should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

> 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
> Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
> would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

> I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
> see if it spins up.

> Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
> in the HP?

> Cheers in advance,

> -Al

Sounds very much like a faulty power connector. Rare, but it
happens.

Arno

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

On Nov 29, 10:38*am, "PeeCee" <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi guys,

> > This is a weird problem to do with a harddisk and its powering. Here
> > is what has happened, and what I have done.

> > 1. Friend brought HP PC over, not power, so replaced the 300W PSU with
> > a 400W Enermax and now PC completes post but complains of no Hard disk
> > - cant even hear/feel the hard disk spinning up. The hard disk is a
> > Samsung SATA.

> > 2. Checked hard disk connections, and check with a second PSU that it
> > wasnt just a faulty cable. Still cant feel/hear hard disk spinning up.

> > 3. Connect the hard disk to another working PC via a external USB/IDE
> > bridge. Hard disk spins up fine and can see the data on the drive etc
> > etc.

> > 4. Connect the data cable of the hard disk to the HP PC, but power it
> > via the external USB/IDE bridge power pack, now I can hear the drive
> > spin up and the PC boots into windows.

> > So far the tests I have not isolated the fault, if it was a faulty PSU
> > changing PSU's should have fixed, if the drive was faulty then it
> > should not have worked with the USB/IDE bridge.

> > 5. Plug in a brand new Seagate SATA to the HP PC, using the new
> > Enermax in the HP for both data and power, and where the Samsung drive
> > would not power up, the Seagate spins up just fine.

> > I intend next to plug the Samsung hard disk from the HP into my PC and
> > see if it spins up.

> > Anyone got any suggestions why the Samsung hard disk does not spin up
> > in the HP?

> > Cheers in advance,

> > -Al

> Al
>
> I *had PC in here a couple of months ago where the owner 'swore' the SATA
> leads were plugged in correctly.
> When checked *they had forced the power connector on upside down.
>
> It is very easy to knock the little location/polarity tab off a SATA socket.
> Once this is done the cable will go on either way up, but because the
> contacts don't meet the drive won't go.
> (There is no shorting danger as the contacts only touch plastic.)
>
> You usually get an idea it's in wrong because the plugs won't sit square
> when both plugs (data & power) are inserted.
> There are little protrusions on the side of the plugs that interfere with
> one another if they are not inserted the right way up.
>
> Be interested to know if that was the problem.
>
> BTW
> "The hard disk is a *Samsung SATA."
> "external USB/IDE bridge"
> ???????
>
> Best
>
> Paul
>
> -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to (E-Mail Removed) --

Thanks Paul, a pretty reasonable suggestion, but thats was'nt.

Cheers

-Al

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

> Sounds very much like a faulty power connector. Rare, but it
> happens.
>
> Arno

I tried two different Power Supplies......same prob on both! In fact
make it 3 PSU's cause I also tried plugging it into my PC.

Al

BigAl.NZ@gmail.com

On Nov 29, 3:10*pm, "Nelson Ogden" <nelsonogden-remove-this-to-
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Are you connecting the problem hard drive with the four pin Molex power
> connector or the thin SATA connector?
>
> Are you using the same type of power connector both in the computer and in
> the USB adapter?
>
> - Nelson

Same type (SATA Power) yes, but not the same one.

-Al