Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > VHDL for Linux?

VHDL for Linux?

Bengt T

Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

Mike Treseler

Bengt T wrote:
> Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
> tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

this one is free, but complex and incomplete:
http://ghdl.free.fr/

This looks like what you need, but it isn't quite free:
http://www.gmvhdl.com/directVHDL.html

-- Mike Treseler

Pinhas

On 29 *ובמבר, 02:28, Brian Drummond <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:16:04 -0800 (PST), Bengt T
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
> >tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

> In addition to Mike's suggestions, consider Webpack from Xilinx, which
> is free (but intended to sell you Xilinx chips).
> It's a 2.2GB download...
>
> As of 10.1, the in-built simulator is starting to look like a useful
> product (still a few rough edges but certainly good enough for
> learning). The other tools are fine.
>
> Only SUSE 10 and RHEL (4 I think) officially supported, and only 32-bit
> for the free Webpack, but I've been using it under SUSE 11 (64 bit with
> the 32-bit compatibility libs) without trouble. I've also installed
> under Fedora 8, (32 bit) successfully, once I realised you had to turn
> SELinux off before running the installer...
>
> - Brian

I work a lot with http://ghdl.free.fr/
It compiles well a complex design such as LEON processor:
I2C master connected and tested with LEON Processor
http://bknpk.no-ip.biz/I2C/leon_2.html

Petter Gustad

Pinhas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I work a lot with http://ghdl.free.fr/

I had problems compiling the Altera libraries with ghdl some time ago.
Did anybody have any success using ghdl with the Altera libraries?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

d_s_klein@yahoo.com

I may be top-posting, but at least I'm not hijacking (and killing)
threads.

BTW, GHDL does work for specific Altera primitives; every one that
I've tried, that is.

On Nov 30, 8:59 am, Petter Gustad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Pinhas <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I work a lot withhttp://ghdl.free.fr/

> I had problems compiling the Altera libraries with ghdl some time ago.
> Did anybody have any success using ghdl with the Altera libraries?
>
> Petter
>
> --
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Clunixchit

On Nov 28, 8:16*pm, Bengt T <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Which freeware is recommended to use for experiments and and simple
> tests of designing with VHDL in Linux?

You have a look at:
http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/digital.html

Fedora Electronic Lab (FEL) provides you the most complete platform
for hardware engineering based on opensource software.

Chitlesh

BPSK on VHDL (warning - VHDL newbie) pygmalion VHDL 6 06-23-2006 07:30 PM
VHDL 2002 vs VHDL 1993 dude VHDL 1 03-23-2006 01:18 PM
multiD-vhdl: Multi Dimensional Arrays (allowing generics on each dimension) for VHDL (including ports) albert.neu@gmail.com VHDL 2 03-21-2006 04:05 PM
what's the difference between VHDL 93 CONCATENATION and VHDL 87 CONCATENATION? walala VHDL 3 09-18-2003 04:17 AM

Advertisments