Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP boot options.

XP boot options.

Sans Serif

Running XP pro.

First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it took two
goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into windows.

I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping its not
a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?

TIA.

ian field

"Sans Serif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GKUXk.5048$(E-Mail Removed)2...
> Running XP pro.
>
> First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it took two
> goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into windows.
>
> I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping its
> not
> a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
>
> TIA.

It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started, attempts to
post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending email) - there is
connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both downloaded their updates and I can
load webpages and view new newsgroup posts, also I can both download and
post using Xnews.

Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

Buffalo

ian field wrote:
> "Sans Serif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GKUXk.5048$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>> Running XP pro.
>>
>> First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it
>> took two goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into
>> windows.
>>
>> I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping
>> its not
>> a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
>>
>> TIA.
>>

> It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started,
> attempts to post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending
> email) - there is connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both
> downloaded their updates and I can load webpages and view new
> newsgroup posts, also I can both download and post using Xnews.
>
> Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

Try removing and reseating the ram sticks (machine off, of course).
Sometimes the connections get a little oxidized and a poor intermittent
connection exists.
Ram can cause may problems.

You could also dl,install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes
AntiMalware. It is an excellent program.
Perhaps try one of the free anti-virus online scans from Kaspersky,
TrendMicro,etc.

ian field

"Buffalo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ggp904$9em$(E-Mail Removed)...

> ian field wrote:
>> "Sans Serif" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:GKUXk.5048$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>> Running XP pro.
>>>
>>> First start-up today my PC reported widows error starting up, it
>>> took two goes at "last known good settings" before it booted into
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> I have AVG and Spyware Terminator, both updated daily so I'm hoping
>>> its not
>>> a malware attack - What possible causes should I check for?
>>>
>>> TIA.
>>>

>> It probably isn't coincidence that when my PC finally started,
>> attempts to post to newsgroups in OE failed (didn't try sending
>> email) - there is connection, AVG & Spyware Terminator both
>> downloaded their updates and I can load webpages and view new
>> newsgroup posts, also I can both download and post using Xnews.
>>
>> Posts via OE seem to appear eventually after a considerable delay.

> Try removing and reseating the ram sticks (machine off, of course).
> Sometimes the connections get a little oxidized and a poor intermittent
> connection exists.
> Ram can cause may problems.

Had a RAM stick die about 4 months ago - the sticks were tried one at a time
in either slot to figure out which one had got flaky, I'll re-check if the
problem persists.

> You could also dl,install, update and run the free version of MalwareBytes
> AntiMalware. It is an excellent program.
> Perhaps try one of the free anti-virus online scans from Kaspersky,
> TrendMicro,etc.

So far AVG hasn't let me down very often, Spyware Terminator finished its
scan with no items to remove (that isn't usual) so I clinked scan again and
selected the deepest level scan - this time it found a long list!

I'd downloaded Malwarebytes yesterday but not had time to play with it yet.