Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > cheapest way to transfer film negatives to digital photos?

cheapest way to transfer film negatives to digital photos?

albert.mills@googlemail.com

H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
of 24 I think.

Thnx

PDM

Buy a good film scanner (second hand maybe). Scan your negs. Sell scanner on
ebay. Seriously, this is quite a common thing.

PDM
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
> of 24 I think.
>
> Thnx

DavidM

PDM wrote:
> Buy a good film scanner (second hand maybe). Scan your negs. Sell scanner on
> ebay. Seriously, this is quite a common thing.

We were in the same situation, hundred of family negatives and slides to
scan. I chose the Minolta Scan Elite 5400, and went looking on eBay. A
single slightly dodgy auction was running, so we bid up to the PayPal
guaranteed amount of 150, but lost out. By complete luck we then found
one in an online classified advert for 150. Took a risk, sent off a
cheque and it arrived in perfect condition.

Anyway, skip to the end.. after studying eBay for the next couple of
weeks it was clear that these models are continuously coming up and good
ones always sell for 300 - 400 in the UK. If it works, looks nice in a
photo and has all the bits, you are pretty much sure of a good resale value.

We're keeping ours though, despite the potential for a quick profit.

ransley

On Nov 27, 11:30*pm, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
> of 24 I think.
>
> Thnx

Cvs might not give full resolution scans, it depends on how good they
are and what you will do with them.

Don Stauffer

> H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
> of 24 I think.
>
> Thnx

If you already have a scanner, check to see if there is a transparency
adapter. If you are thinking of buying a flatbed scanner, see if the
ones you are looking at have a transparency adapter. I bought one for
sixty bucks that does a decent job of scanning negs and slides.
Flatbeds with adapters are FAR cheaper than film scanners, and for that
small number of negatives, it doesn't seem to make sense to me to buy a
film scanner. You'd be cheaper paying Walmart.

Unless your computer is very old, it should be able to burn CDs, though
you may need burning software. You can get some pretty cheap software.

If you do it yourself you should be able to put all 200 on one or two CDs.

Paul Furman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
> of 24 I think.

That is super cheap, 200 negatives for $67. Maybe not the best but you
won't find cheaper or easier if those numbers are right. It would be
very tedious work to scan yourself.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Archibald

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:11:01 -0800, Paul Furman <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> H I have about 200 film negatives. What's the cheapest way to transfer
>> them to digital photos? Wall green/CVS charges like 8 dollars for a cd
>> of 24 I think.

>That is super cheap, 200 negatives for $67. Maybe not the best but you
>won't find cheaper or easier if those numbers are right. It would be
>very tedious work to scan yourself.

I just scanned 410 slides on the Nikon CoolScan... took about 3 days.
Negatives are fussier to do than slides (at least the way I do them)
-- will take more time.

Archibald