Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio 2008 Debugging Options

Visual Studio 2008 Debugging Options

katmagic

How can you avoid stepping through the ajax files when debugging? It takes
me hours just to find which event or method is being kicked off after the
ajax stuff, I want to debug only the page I am on and not be redirected to
all those ajax files. Depending on the error, I can't Step Out or Step Over
because it entirely misses whatever event is causing the error. How can I
avoid that?

Gregory Beamer

Do you have a clue where the actual problem might be? If so, set a
breakpoint. If not, you can set multiple breakpoints in the non-AJAX stuff
and start stepping through.

One way to determine the point of error is the error message. If this is not
bubbling up, set up a custom error handling page and set your app to
redirect there in the web.config file. Of course, AJAX errors will not be
caught in this manner. In your error handler write to a log. Tracing also
works well to catch errors. The point here is you should know roughly where
your issues are when you start out.

One of the best ways to set things up is to put the actual working code in
libraries. You can then set up unit tests around the methods on the classes
and find the error more quickly (or avoid it completely by catching it early
in coding rather than in the page).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA