Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Recommend Voip phone?

Recommend Voip phone?

Paul McGuinness

I have done some searching and the three main contenders are Snom,
Linksys, and Grandstream, all available from Sipgate shop. Two people
will use this as a home business phone, so nothing sophisticated needed.
I want corded rather than cordless and will probably want to use a
headset with it.
Thanks for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul McGuinness

Ivor Jones

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Paul McGuinness <(E-Mail Removed)> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: I have done some searching and the three main contenders are Snom,
: Linksys, and Grandstream, all available from Sipgate shop. Two people
: will use this as a home business phone, so nothing sophisticated
: needed. I want corded rather than cordless and will probably want to
: use a headset with it.
: Thanks for any feedback.
: Paul.

Personally I'd use an ATA and an ordinary landline phone. That way you can
plug what you like in exactly as you would with an ordinary landline, or
even feed the lines into a PBX.

Ivor

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Paul McGuinness <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have done some searching and the three main contenders are Snom,
>Linksys, and Grandstream, all available from Sipgate shop. Two people
>will use this as a home business phone, so nothing sophisticated needed.
>I want corded rather than cordless and will probably want to use a
>headset with it.

I've mostly installed Grandstreams - The GXP2000 is nice and good if
you want a multi-line appearance.

Snoms are nice too, but you get less phone for your money. Audio quality
is slightly better on the Snom than the Grandstream though. Both can
have headsets plugged in. If you like to enter names for the phone book,
then unless you go for the really expenaive Snom 360, the Grandstreams
have bigger displays.

I've no first-hand expeirence of Linksys phones though.

If you want a UK source to buy them from, look at:

http://www.voipon.co.uk/

Gordon

Woody

"Paul McGuinness" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have done some searching and the three main contenders are Snom,
>Linksys, and Grandstream, all available from Sipgate shop. Two people
>will use this as a home business phone, so nothing sophisticated
>needed. I want corded rather than cordless and will probably want to
>use a headset with it.
> Thanks for any feedback.
> Paul.
> --
> Paul McGuinness

Linksys 2102 (which was the Sipura) is a good model - I have one and
have had no problems in well over a year.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Desk Rabbit

Paul McGuinness wrote:
> I have done some searching and the three main contenders are Snom,
> Linksys, and Grandstream, all available from Sipgate shop. Two people
> will use this as a home business phone, so nothing sophisticated needed.

Grandstream are cheap and cheerful.

Snom are solid and reliable.

When I was buying for my business I chose the Snom. For home the
Grandstream I have is fine.

Tim

Mr JM wrote:
> The only regret on the
> SNOM300: the screen is small, and there is no backlight....

Newer Snom300s do have a screen backlight and also PoE.,

All those under about a year old (from reputable suppliers) should have
backlights.

The only Snom in the current range with no backlight is Snom320.

Tim