Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to teach someone HTML/CSS?

Reply
Thread Tools

How to teach someone HTML/CSS?

 
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Yes. Especially for someone coming from a graphic design background,
> this is important.


What role will these designers be playing?

I've been on teams where the designers did no HTML at all - they just
did PSDs, cut them up, and handed them over to developers to implement
as HTML. If that's what your designers do, then it'd be most useful for
them to know the general principles involved, like the idea that the
page size is fluid rather than static, than for them to get bogged down
in HTML coding and other implementation details they may never need.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jan Faerber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
Nik Coughlin schrieb:
> "Jan Faerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:492ea17a$0$2622$(E-Mail Removed) .telekom.at...
>> Andy Dingley schrieb:
>>
>>> Really this ought to be up on wikibooks...

>>
>> wiki sucks

>
> Why?


"Hey, hey Wiki! Hey Wiki hey." I am not a kid. I like the "Yahoo
Answers" much more.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jan Faerber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
Jan Faerber schrieb:
> Nik Coughlin schrieb:
>> "Jan Faerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:492ea17a$0$2622$(E-Mail Removed) .telekom.at...
>>> Andy Dingley schrieb:
>>>
>>>> Really this ought to be up on wikibooks...
>>>
>>> wiki sucks

>>
>> Why?

>
> "Hey, hey Wiki! Hey Wiki hey." I am not a kid. I like the "Yahoo
> Answers" much more.


And I think Lutz Heilmann was right when he arranged to close the german
wiki.
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/11...-evil-article/

The man know better what is fact and what not because he know what is a
system because he served in a secret agency.

From me Wikipedia won't get any Cent.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jan Faerber
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
Jan Faerber schrieb:
> Jan Faerber schrieb:
>> Nik Coughlin schrieb:
>>> "Jan Faerber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:492ea17a$0$2622$(E-Mail Removed) .telekom.at...
>>>> Andy Dingley schrieb:
>>>>
>>>>> Really this ought to be up on wikibooks...
>>>>
>>>> wiki sucks
>>>
>>> Why?

>>
>> "Hey, hey Wiki! Hey Wiki hey." I am not a kid. I like the "Yahoo
>> Answers" much more.

>
> And I think Lutz Heilmann was right when he arranged to close the german
> wiki.
> http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/11...-evil-article/
>
>
> The man know better what is fact and what not because he know what is a
> system because he served in a secret agency.
>
> From me Wikipedia won't get any Cent.


And wiki entries have always first rank in google results. Google's ****
net.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
On 28 Nov, 06:06, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been on teams where the designers did no HTML at all - they just
> did PSDs, cut them up, and handed them over to developers to implement
> as HTML. If that's what your designers do, then it'd be most useful ...


....to shoot them now and get it over with.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
Jan Faerber <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> And wiki entries have always first rank in google results. Google's
> **** net.


Okay, I've heard enough of your babble. Into the killfile you go.

*plonk*

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bergamot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008

Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
> I've been on teams where the designers did no HTML at all - they just
> did PSDs, cut them up, and handed them over to developers to implement
> as HTML.


If the designer isn't doing any coding, they should *not* be the one to
cut up a PSD file. That task is best left to whoever is going to
implement the design.

--
Berg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sherm Pendley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Sherm Pendley wrote:
>>
>> I've been on teams where the designers did no HTML at all - they just
>> did PSDs, cut them up, and handed them over to developers to implement
>> as HTML.

>
> If the designer isn't doing any coding, they should *not* be the one
> to cut up a PSD file. That task is best left to whoever is going to
> implement the design.


In the teams I'm referring to, the designers chose the compression type
and amount - finding an acceptable quality/compression compromise was
part of the designer's job, and they did that on a per-slice basis.

It was rarely a problem in practice. If you have well-trained designers
who are aware of the principles of flexible pages, they can usually cut
the designs up the right way. In about two and a half years at this
particular job, I only needed to "push back" and have a PSD recut two,
maybe three times.

Keep in mind, I'm talking about professional designers who knew their
jobs well, not clueless "deeziners" who insist on nailing everything
into a fixed position. One doesn't need to have memorized the HTML spec
in order to understand the limitations and capabilities of the medium.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com
Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joy Beeson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:20:36 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > 2. A good text editor. Check to see that your student isn't going to
> > unlearn everything by using a bad editor.

>
> Agreed. Will probably go with Notepad++ as it's what I'm most familiar with


Ask each student what his favorite text editor is. If a text editor
he likes and knows how to use is anywhere near suitable, let him use
it. If he has none, tell him to use Notepad. If his favorite is
unsuitable, explain why it's unsuitable.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bergamot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2008

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Bergamot <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> If the designer isn't doing any coding, they should *not* be the one
>> to cut up a PSD file. That task is best left to whoever is going to
>> implement the design.

>
> Keep in mind, I'm talking about professional designers who knew their
> jobs well, not clueless "deeziners" who insist on nailing everything
> into a fixed position.


I've personally only dealt with the latter, who cannot be trusted to
slice up a PSD correctly. I'm working with one now, as a matter of fact.
I have repeatedly tried to teach her some of the differences between web
and print media, but she just doesn't get it and I don't think she ever
will. Every new project I have to train her all over again. <sigh>

I think there are far more designers like her than those professionals
you speak of who know their jobs well. I've never met one, myself.

--
Berg
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
can someone teach me this? Menghsiu Lee Python 6 07-23-2012 09:19 PM
I can teach anyone how to get what they want out of life. reynArd VHDL 0 11-20-2004 08:44 AM
Can someone teach me? Thx!!! tianyi C Programming 6 11-09-2004 03:09 AM



Advertisments