Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to teach someone HTML/CSS?

How to teach someone HTML/CSS?

Nik Coughlin

I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about HTML
and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach them
enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?

Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.

This is what I'm thinking:

HTML structure
HTML elements, marking content up semantically
Styling content with CSS
Validation and testing against different browsers
Internet Explorer bugs
Turning a PSD into an HTML/CSS layout (this is very important to them) - how
to build a fluid design from a fixed size PSD
Optimization (images etc)
Organizing content so that it's easy to find things and pages aren't too
cluttered/not too many levels of navigation etc.
Where to find help on the Internet, how to post an example and ask the right
questions

Does anyone have any further suggestions or advice?

Is this too much for 3-4 days, if so what would you cut?

Am I forgetting anything important?

dorayme

In article <ggknu8$vu9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about HTML
> and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach them
> enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?
>
> Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.
>
> This is what I'm thinking:
>
> HTML structure
> HTML elements, marking content up semantically
> Styling content with CSS
> Validation and testing against different browsers
> Internet Explorer bugs
> Turning a PSD into an HTML/CSS layout (this is very important to them) - how
> to build a fluid design from a fixed size PSD
> Optimization (images etc)
> Organizing content so that it's easy to find things and pages aren't too
> cluttered/not too many levels of navigation etc.
> Where to find help on the Internet, how to post an example and ask the right
> questions
>
> Does anyone have any further suggestions or advice?
>
> Is this too much for 3-4 days, if so what would you cut?
>
> Am I forgetting anything important?

What will this person do after mid Jan? Is the idea to give him the
ability - ultimately after perhaps even further study - to make web
pages himself? Or to just understand some of the difficulties that pros
will face with various designs and how he might help the webpage maker?

--
dorayme

Nik Coughlin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ggknu8$vu9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about
>> HTML
>> and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach them
>> enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?
>>
>> Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.
>>
>> This is what I'm thinking:
>>
>> HTML structure
>> HTML elements, marking content up semantically
>> Styling content with CSS
>> Validation and testing against different browsers
>> Internet Explorer bugs
>> Turning a PSD into an HTML/CSS layout (this is very important to them) -
>> how
>> to build a fluid design from a fixed size PSD
>> Optimization (images etc)
>> Organizing content so that it's easy to find things and pages aren't too
>> cluttered/not too many levels of navigation etc.
>> Where to find help on the Internet, how to post an example and ask the
>> right
>> questions
>>
>> Does anyone have any further suggestions or advice?
>>
>> Is this too much for 3-4 days, if so what would you cut?
>>
>> Am I forgetting anything important?

> What will this person do after mid Jan? Is the idea to give him the
> ability - ultimately after perhaps even further study - to make web
> pages himself? Or to just understand some of the difficulties that pros
> will face with various designs and how he might help the webpage maker?

The idea is that they'll be able to make at least a start on doing the HTML
markup and CSS themselves, but I think that it will also be helpful for the
second reason that you point out. But primarily the first.

dorayme

In article <ggkpde$e2i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <ggknu8$vu9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about
> >> HTML
> >> and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach them
> >> enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?

> >> Am I forgetting anything important?

> > What will this person do after mid Jan? Is the idea to give him the
> > ability - ultimately after perhaps even further study - to make web
> > pages himself? Or to just understand some of the difficulties that pros
> > will face with various designs and how he might help the webpage maker?

> The idea is that they'll be able to make at least a start on doing the HTML
> markup and CSS themselves, but I think that it will also be helpful for the
> second reason that you point out. But primarily the first.

In that case, yes, HTML structure, keep it simple and I suggest tell him
that for a while (unless he really finds out better) to always use 4.01
Strict and that whatever he creates should make sense to users with the
basic default look or sound when CSS and js is off. And to do as much as
possible to make the CSS work on this minimal markup.

You will explain that he will fail as we all do to keep to minimal
markup and to show him a lot about background images.

Frankly, in 3 days, I would not do much on IE bugs... but he might be a
quick learner? I would instead tell him to see what he comes up in FF
and have a lesson later on IE. Otherwise it will put up too many
roadblocks in his mind.

--
dorayme

Nik Coughlin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ggkpde$e2i$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> In that case, yes, HTML structure, keep it simple and I suggest tell him
> that for a while (unless he really finds out better) to always use 4.01
> Strict and that whatever he creates should make sense to users with the
> basic default look or sound when CSS and js is off. And to do as much as
> possible to make the CSS work on this minimal markup.
>
> You will explain that he will fail as we all do to keep to minimal
> markup and to show him a lot about background images.
>
> Frankly, in 3 days, I would not do much on IE bugs... but he might be a
> quick learner? I would instead tell him to see what he comes up in FF
> and have a lesson later on IE. Otherwise it will put up too many
> roadblocks in his mind.

Sensible. I think I am going to have to try and get 4-5 days

dorayme

In article <ggks0l$5eq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Frankly, in 3 days, I would not do much on IE bugs... but he might be a
> > quick learner? I would instead tell him to see what he comes up in FF
> > and have a lesson later on IE. Otherwise it will put up too many
> > roadblocks in his mind.

> Sensible. I think I am going to have to try and get 4-5 days

Sure... but I don't know if you know this, 2 or 3 days once and one or
two days after a period of a few weeks, packs more power of good into
the teaching process than all at once. The earthling brain needs to be
working things out internally for a while to absorb new info
efficiently. I'd say it is your job to set up a basic mindset and him to
go from there and then come back to you for a few days. Good luck!

--
dorayme

Nik Coughlin

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ggks0l$5eq$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > Frankly, in 3 days, I would not do much on IE bugs... but he might be a
>> > quick learner? I would instead tell him to see what he comes up in FF
>> > and have a lesson later on IE. Otherwise it will put up too many
>> > roadblocks in his mind.

>> Sensible. I think I am going to have to try and get 4-5 days

> Sure... but I don't know if you know this, 2 or 3 days once and one or
> two days after a period of a few weeks, packs more power of good into
> the teaching process than all at once. The earthling brain needs to be
> working things out internally for a while to absorb new info
> efficiently. I'd say it is your job to set up a basic mindset and him to
> go from there and then come back to you for a few days.

That makes perfect sense. Unfortunately it's going to have to be all at
once

> Good luck!

Thanks!

C A Upsdell

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about
> HTML and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach
> them enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?
>
> Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.

Step 1: find a good book which teaches the basics well.

Step 2: teach to the book.

Step 3: afterwards, he/she is on their own, but can continue using the
book -- with which he/she should then be comfortable -- to learn more.

Nik Coughlin

"C A Upsdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ggkvck$1je$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about
>> HTML and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach
>> them enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?
>>
>> Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.

> Step 1: find a good book which teaches the basics well.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a heap of books but none of
them are aimed at the beginner.

I've looked at a couple but they (the authors) were pillocks.

> Step 2: teach to the book.
>
> Step 3: afterwards, he/she is on their own, but can continue using the
> book -- with which he/she should then be comfortable -- to learn more.

Nik Coughlin

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ggl0a2$a70$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "C A Upsdell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ggkvck$1je$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
>>> I have 3-4 days to teach a graphic designer as much as possible about
>>> HTML and CSS - obviously not long enough, but I should be able to teach
>>> them enough to feel comfortable taking it from there themselves, yes?
>>>
>>> Luckily I have until mid January to prepare.

>> Step 1: find a good book which teaches the basics well.

> Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a heap of books but none of
> them are aimed at the beginner.
>
> I've looked at a couple but they (the authors) were pillocks.

One of my colleagues has this book, I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow:

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-HTM...dp/059610197X/

This one looks OK too:
Build Your Own Website The Right Way Using HTML & CSS
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Web...dp/0975240293/