Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fdisk question

Fdisk question

What Now

Say I have a disk divided into C:\, D:\, E:\ with D & E being logical
drives in the extended partition, and C:\ being the active, primary
partition. If I use the fdisk command to delete C:\, will DOS make D:\
the new C:\ drive? Or will D&E stay put and fidsk allow me to create a
new active, primary partition and name it C:\?

(I know, you're probably wondering why I don't just format C:\
instead, even if it has to be in FAT32, then switch to NTFS with the
OS CD, but I want to know anyway.) Anyone?

Thanks!

why?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 14:50:35 -0800, What Now wrote:

>Say I have a disk divided into C:\, D:\, E:\ with D & E being logical
>drives in the extended partition, and C:\ being the active, primary
>partition. If I use the fdisk command to delete C:\, will DOS make D:\

As philo said, you need to delete E,D, extended partn first.

DOS won't make D the new C. A Win NT Class OS does.

>the new C:\ drive? Or will D&E stay put and fidsk allow me to create a
>new active, primary partition and name it C:\?
>
>(I know, you're probably wondering why I don't just format C:\
>instead, even if it has to be in FAT32, then switch to NTFS with the
>OS CD, but I want to know anyway.) Anyone?

Do it the easy way that will work.

FDISK isn't doing anything for you if that's what you need.

>Thanks!

Some partition manager tools, may let you do this. I seem to recall many
years ago , wiping just C and the pri partition might have bee partition
magic v3. Check http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Me

What Now

Thu, 27 Nov 2008 18:33:54 GMT, why?
Thanks for the answers... I don't use fdisk that often and forgot
exactly how it works relevant to the question.

FDISK /MBR question Trent SC Computer Support 21 12-10-2005 09:43 AM
Hard Drive Reformat/FDISK Question Neil Scott Computer Support 6 10-13-2003 02:54 AM
FDISK Question Ged Computer Support 6 10-10-2003 12:16 AM
Re: FDISK VOLUME LABEL paul s Computer Support 1 07-21-2003 12:17 PM
Fdisk Format Question - FSInfoSector Add Subtract Computer Support 3 07-07-2003 09:19 PM

Advertisments