Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OE does not indent some replies

OE does not indent some replies

pimpom

I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts in
newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of
quoted text lines and it works most of the time. But occasionally
it refuses to indent the lines. Changing the character makes no
difference. I guessed that it may have something to do with the
please help out? TIA.

Walter

pimpom wrote:

> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts in
> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of
> quoted text lines and it works most of the time. But occasionally
> it refuses to indent the lines. Changing the character makes no
> difference. I guessed that it may have something to do with the
> please help out? TIA.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

pimpom wrote:

> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts in
> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of quoted
> text lines and it works most of the time. But occasionally it refuses
> to indent the lines. Changing the character makes no difference. I
> guessed that it may have something to do with the previous poster's
> news reader or with its settings. Can anyone please help out? TIA.

You are probably experiencing this when replying to a Google Groper's
post. The problem is both a problem with GG (using quoted-printable) and
with your newsreader.

Get a better one.

--
-bts

pimpom

Walter wrote:
> pimpom wrote:
>
>> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts
>> in
>> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of
>> quoted text lines and it works most of the time. But
>> occasionally
>> it refuses to indent the lines. Changing the character makes
>> no
>> difference. I guessed that it may have something to do with
>> the
>> please help out? TIA.

It works. THANKS.

Walter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> pimpom wrote:
>
>> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts in
>> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of quoted
>> text lines and it works most of the time. But occasionally it refuses
>> to indent the lines. Changing the character makes no difference. I
>> guessed that it may have something to do with the previous poster's
>> news reader or with its settings. Can anyone please help out? TIA.

> You are probably experiencing this when replying to a Google Groper's
> post. The problem is both a problem with GG (using quoted-printable)
> and with your newsreader.
>
> Get a better one.

Or. As I previously stated, s/he could get OE Quotefix. I've been using it
for years.

Walter

pimpom wrote:

> Walter wrote:
>> pimpom wrote:
>>
>>> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts
>>> in
>>> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of
>>> quoted text lines and it works most of the time. But
>>> occasionally
>>> it refuses to indent the lines. Changing the character makes
>>> no
>>> difference. I guessed that it may have something to do with
>>> the
>>> please help out? TIA.

>> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

> It works. THANKS.

Welcome

VanguardLH

pimpom wrote:

> I use Outlook Express 6 with Win XP SP3. For replies to posts in
> newsgroups, I use the default character > for indentation of
> quoted text lines and it works most of the time. But occasionally
> it refuses to indent the lines. Changing the character makes no
> difference. I guessed that it may have something to do with the
> please help out? TIA.

RFCs exist to define how to encode a message using quoted-printable
format. That format demarks content based on paragraphs so it is one
very long logically long line per paragraph (while the lines are
physically kept short within the raw source of the message itself). If
it weren't for automatic line-wrap in whatever newsreader that you use,
you would see one really long line per paragraph. quoted-printable
format is NOT recommended for Usenet post yet even some MVPs use it
(they're not interested in readibility by all by whatever they happen to
like due to however their newsreader presents their post to them).

There is no RFC that defines how to slice up the long lines per
paragraph into physically shorter lines so any newsreader can view the
post. That means each newsreader makes an arbitrary choice on how to
slice up the long line usually based on some configuration settings. OE
doesn't break up the long line and why you only see the quoting
character for the long line for the paragraph. So that the long line
wraps is only because the window in which the text is displayed has an
attribute enable to automatic wrap long lines.

Posters should be berated for using quoted-printable format. Google
Groupers may end up using quoted-printable format but it isn't their
choice. Sometimes Google decides to use quoted-printable format (but I
haven't see a pattern to know what criteria will use it), sometimes not.
Anyone that is using a local newsreader client should configure it to
NOT use quoted-printable format. Alas, the defaults for many
combo-function newsreaders use quoted-printable format for both e-mails
and newsgroups by default and users are often too lazy to bother looking
at the program's options or they're unaware of the consequences of using
quoted-printable format. It looks okay to them so they figure it must
be okay for everyone else. Ego overrides logic: they want others to
read their posts but they don't care if others can easily view their
posts.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:15:21 -0500, "Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Or. As I previously stated, s/he could get OE Quotefix. I've been using it
>for years.

Which is like putting a band-aid on herpes.....

Walter

Evan Platt wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:15:21 -0500, "Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Or. As I previously stated, s/he could get OE Quotefix. I've been
>> using it for years.

> Which is like putting a band-aid on herpes.....

Yeah, and everybody who asks a question about IE should get Firefox or
Opera. And everybody having a problem with Windows should switch to Linux
or buy a Mac, right?

Evan Platt

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:27:35 -0500, "Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yeah, and everybody who asks a question about IE should get Firefox or
>Opera.

IE is good for sites you ABSOLUTELY trust or if you know how to
properly set up your security settings. Otherwise, might as well lick
food off the street.

>And everybody having a problem with Windows should switch to Linux
>or buy a Mac, right?

No. I'm not a big Windows fan, but it runs the applications I need.
The problem is, out of the box, it's insecure.