Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Ad hoc network

Ad hoc network

ewastudent

could i set up a ad hoc network with my vista laptop and my 98 windows pc,?
the pc doesn't have internet. i was wondering, without the router from
downstairs, if i could connect the two, even with a cable?

Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\)

Hi
Wire or wireless, No matter what the PC needs a valid working Network card.
The best would be if it can connect directly to the Router.
If the laptop is connected to the Router Wirelessly at the same spot, then
the Windows 98 PC when equipped with Wireless card can connect too.
Here is a good Wireless Card that is inexpensive and can be used with
Windows 98.
Otherwise the Laptop needs two Network Cards, the PC should be connected
with a cross over wire to the Laptop, and the two Should be Bridged to your
main Router.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc748895.aspx
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...