Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > peer to peer wireless networking question?

peer to peer wireless networking question?

Milsnips

hi there,

i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have b/g
cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?

is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong here?

thanks,
Paul

oldguy

Hi,

Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
enough to cause your problem.

Good Luck,
Engin

"Milsnips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi there,
>
> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>
> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
> here?
>
> thanks,
> Paul

Milsnips

how do i check where the speed is limited?

thanks,
Paul

"oldguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
> computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
> enough to cause your problem.
>
> Good Luck,
> Engin
>

> "Milsnips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hi there,
>>
>> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
>> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>>
>> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
>> here?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Paul

oldguy

Hi Paul,

Roughly speaking, you should check it through start>control panel>Network
Connections>(icon for your wireless connection)>Properties>Configure, then
find the entry showing the speed or b/g selection.

This is for WinXP, it may be slightly different for other versions.

Good luck,
Engin

"Milsnips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how do i check where the speed is limited?
>
> thanks,
> Paul
>
> "oldguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a quick thought: Have you checked the wireless settings on both
>> computers? The speed limit having been set to 11 Mbps on one laptop is
>> enough to cause your problem.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> Engin
>>

>> "Milsnips" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> i tried connecting 2 laptops using peer to peer wireles, they both have
>>> b/g cards in them but always connect at 11mbs?
>>>
>>> is there some kinda restriction on this or am i doing something wrong
>>> here?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?VGltbW8=?=

I actually have the same issue and am almost convinced that for an
ad-hoc(peer to peer) network there is some limitation that prevents speeds
greater than 11MBps. I have checked the config on the drivers of both
computers and they are set to 802.11g preferred. I have gone through every
other option on the network config and have had no luck with changing this.
Can anyone else shed any light on this?