Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Toasted again???

Computer Toasted again???

mike3

Hi.

I have this computer that seems to have been toasted. It first shut
down and never started up again. I presumed the PSU was bad. Got out 3
digit multimeter, checked PSU. No voltage on ANYTHING, plugged in or
not. Even when in the computer. *Zero* all over (e.g. grey wire didn't
have ANY voltage on it, purple wire didn't have ANY voltage on it,
etc. when plugged into the system.). Then I removed the unit and I
couldn't even get it to start up by jumpering the green wire, and I
noticed that a bit of the connector plastic was burnt, so I believe
all that confirmed it to have failed. So I got a new PSU and put it
in. Computer starts, runs for a bit (gets the OS booted), then "shuts
down" (screen goes blank, hard drive light becomes steady on, but
doesn't actually power off.). Sometimes it beeps before this happens,
once. I also notice I cannot get to BIOS setup (it says "entering
SETUP" but then proceeds to the boot loader for the OS like it didn't
even notice).

I'm wondering if the death of the old PSU damaged something in the
computer. What could have been damaged and how could one find out? Is
it the M/B? The CPU chip? Something else? All of the above? I'm
guessing M/B but I'm not sure.

The old PSU was an "@-power" 430 watt unit, by the way.

chuckcar

mike3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi.
>
> I have this computer that seems to have been toasted. It first shut
> down and never started up again. I presumed the PSU was bad. Got out 3
> digit multimeter, checked PSU. No voltage on ANYTHING, plugged in or
> not. Even when in the computer. *Zero* all over (e.g. grey wire didn't
> have ANY voltage on it, purple wire didn't have ANY voltage on it,
> etc. when plugged into the system.). Then I removed the unit and I
> couldn't even get it to start up by jumpering the green wire, and I
> noticed that a bit of the connector plastic was burnt, so I believe
> all that confirmed it to have failed. So I got a new PSU and put it
> in. Computer starts, runs for a bit (gets the OS booted), then "shuts
> down" (screen goes blank, hard drive light becomes steady on, but
> doesn't actually power off.). Sometimes it beeps before this happens,
> once. I also notice I cannot get to BIOS setup (it says "entering
> SETUP" but then proceeds to the boot loader for the OS like it didn't
> even notice).
>
> I'm wondering if the death of the old PSU damaged something in the
> computer. What could have been damaged and how could one find out? Is
> it the M/B? The CPU chip? Something else? All of the above? I'm
> guessing M/B but I'm not sure.
>
> The old PSU was an "@-power" 430 watt unit, by the way.

Disconnect the harddrives and cdroms until you can make sure the BIOS and
everything else is set/working fine. There doesn't *seem* to be anything
wrong. If it boots, the MB is good. If the CPU was dead, it wouldn't even
POST.

What *exactly* was the "beep"? i.e. how many long/short. There should be
the name of the company that made the BIOS on the very top of the screen
as soon as it comes on. That matters too. There *is* a single short beep
you get on a normal boot. Always. It's not an error, it's a speaker test.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

mike3

On Nov 24, 4:24*pm, mike3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
<snip>

I think I've discovered the problem. It appears the ATX connector
was too loose. I pushed it in until it seated and now it _seems_ to
be stable.

Tony

Look in the device manager for yellow checkmarks if you can get into there
before it shuts down.

mike3 wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have this computer that seems to have been toasted. It first shut
> down and never started up again. I presumed the PSU was bad. Got out 3
> digit multimeter, checked PSU. No voltage on ANYTHING, plugged in or
> not. Even when in the computer. *Zero* all over (e.g. grey wire didn't
> have ANY voltage on it, purple wire didn't have ANY voltage on it,
> etc. when plugged into the system.). Then I removed the unit and I
> couldn't even get it to start up by jumpering the green wire, and I
> noticed that a bit of the connector plastic was burnt, so I believe
> all that confirmed it to have failed. So I got a new PSU and put it
> in. Computer starts, runs for a bit (gets the OS booted), then "shuts
> down" (screen goes blank, hard drive light becomes steady on, but
> doesn't actually power off.). Sometimes it beeps before this happens,
> once. I also notice I cannot get to BIOS setup (it says "entering
> SETUP" but then proceeds to the boot loader for the OS like it didn't
> even notice).
>
> I'm wondering if the death of the old PSU damaged something in the
> computer. What could have been damaged and how could one find out? Is
> it the M/B? The CPU chip? Something else? All of the above? I'm
> guessing M/B but I'm not sure.
>
> The old PSU was an "@-power" 430 watt unit, by the way.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Tony

Those bios beeps can be a little tricky if you've ate beans for lunch and
then fart while the computer is booting. Those machine gun farts are the
trickiest to figure out.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

the realm of understandability

hwأf

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:17:57 -0800, mike3 aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> On Nov 24, 4:24*pm, mike3 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> I think I've discovered the problem. It appears the ATX connector
> was too loose. I pushed it in until it seated and now it _seems_ to
> be stable.

You might give a look inside Device Manager to see if anything took a hit.

Good luck.

http://www.mykeru.com

Computer Toasted or something else? mike3 Computer Support 7 03-08-2010 11:58 PM
Retrival of Password Protected profile on Hdd of toasted laptop bytedump@gmail.com Computer Support 4 05-07-2009 11:47 PM
Toasted 20D? Vinay Digital Photography 8 04-18-2007 03:11 PM
Computer toasted? mike4ty4@yahoo.com Computer Support 45 10-30-2006 08:06 PM
question re: data recovery on a (possibly) toasted pc, part 1 quiet_table Computer Information 1 01-16-2004 04:21 PM

Advertisments