Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE, Firefox conflict.

IE, Firefox conflict.

DLU

richard wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Web page at:
>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

> Nice layout.
>
> The only difference I saw in IE 7 was a much higher header.

I have the high header in IE7, and the center column does not line up
with the others when I look at it.

I am somewhat mystified the the right hand column is formatted first
instead of from left to right.

Firefox looks good.
--
***************************************
* This is the Spammish Inquisition *

Jonathan N. Little

DLU wrote:
> My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
> the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
> in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
>
> How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original coding
> for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how screwed up it
> looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left something out.
>
> Web page at:
> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

take:

<h1 style="width: 971px;">

and make it

<h1>

Your use of inline styles is biting you in the butt.

Also you have a bad comment in your stylesheet

*/ Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
wrap under the bullets. */

should be

/* Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
wrap under the bullets. */

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Raymond SCHMIT

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:13:40 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
>>the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
>>in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
>>
>>How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original coding
>>for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how screwed up it
>>looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left something out.
>>
>>Web page at:
>>http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

>Nice layout.
>
>The only difference I saw in IE 7 was a much higher header.

The most ennoying that i have with my IE.7 is that
the "CNRCC Committees" is aligned with the "California State & Federal
Parks" making the page "not niced layout"
instead of aligned with the "California"(using SeaMonkey)

Bergamot

DLU wrote:
> Bergamot wrote:
>> DLU wrote:
>>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/

>> BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
>> boxes are excessive at larger text sizes.
>>
>> You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
>> style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.
>>

> I am not sure what borders, it looks to me like the gray boxes are
> centered in the middle of a column.

That's what it may look like to you. Try zooming text up a couple
notches and you'll see things don't necessarily align like you thought.
The green headings are *not* centered over the boxes.
http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/bikesac.png

One of those "centering" selectors in your CSS:
..rinbox {
background-color: #CCC;
text-align: left;
border-width: 5px 4em 0 2em; /* Adjust box size by changing border size
The border size are clockwise from top. */
border-style: solid;
border-color: white;
padding-bottom: 9px; /* This makes rounded corners work, see above */
font-weight: bold;
}

There are other selectors that use 2em/4em margins instead of borders,
but neither should be set in em units - % units would make much better
use of the available canvas space. It would spread things out more in
larger windows and shrink them up when space is not so abundant.

> I will have to look for the inline
> you are referring to. The styles should refer to a CSS.

The screenshot above shows the effect of one of those inline styles. It
obviously shouldn't be there, but you may not have noticed it before now.

--
Berg

DLU

Raymond SCHMIT wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:13:40 -0500, richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:41:25 -0800, DLU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

> The most ennoying that i have with my IE.7 is that
> the "CNRCC Committees" is aligned with the "California State & Federal
> Parks" making the page "not niced layout"
> instead of aligned with the "California"(using SeaMonkey)

Yes, I am trying to figure out how to fix that. I can not get the
column to start at the top of the page.

Interesting thing is right hand column is marked up first, then left,
then center. It seems a little out of line to me.

I have three index files to play with.

I am still learning the process. I still have not rally figured how the
columns get in place in the first place.
--
***************************************

Bergamot wrote:

> DLU wrote:
>> Bergamot wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, those side white borders (pretending to be margins) on the gray
>>> boxes are excessive at larger text sizes.
>>>
>>> You should also drop the bogus inline styles. The reason for
>>> style="height: 20px" on one of the list items is a mystery.
>>>

>> I am not sure what borders, it looks to me like the gray boxes are
>> centered in the middle of a column.

> That's what it may look like to you. Try zooming text up a couple
> notches and you'll see things don't necessarily align like you thought.
> The green headings are *not* centered over the boxes.
> http://www.bergamotus.ws/screenshots/bikesac.png
>
> One of those "centering" selectors in your CSS:
> .rinbox {
> background-color: #CCC;
> text-align: left;
> border-width: 5px 4em 0 2em; /* Adjust box size by changing border size
> The border size are clockwise from top. */
> border-style: solid;
> border-color: white;
> padding-bottom: 9px; /* This makes rounded corners work, see above */
> font-weight: bold;
> }
>
> There are other selectors that use 2em/4em margins instead of borders,
> but neither should be set in em units - % units would make much better
> use of the available canvas space. It would spread things out more in
> larger windows and shrink them up when space is not so abundant.
>
>> I will have to look for the inline you are referring to. The styles
>> should refer to a CSS.

> The screenshot above shows the effect of one of those inline styles. It
> obviously shouldn't be there, but you may not have noticed it before now.

What % should I use, or do I need to experiment?

--
***************************************

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> DLU wrote:
>> My website does not show the same in IE as in Firefox.
>> the validation does not show any errors, but the heading is much wider
>> in IE, and the center column does not line up with the other columns.
>>
>> How can I fix this. Lars did the majority of fixing the original
>> coding for me and I normally do not use IE so did not realize how
>> screwed up it looks in IE. I must have changed something, or left
>> something out.
>>
>> Web page at:
>> http://home.surewest.net/bikesac/bikesac/
>>

> take:
>
> <h1 style="width: 971px;">
>
> and make it
>
> <h1>
>
> Your use of inline styles is biting you in the butt.
>
> Also you have a bad comment in your stylesheet
>
> */ Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
> boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
> the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
> wrap under the bullets. */
>
> should be
>
> /* Adjust lists in boxes here. Do NOT try to adjust padding of the
> boxes as that will break corners. list-style-position: outside means
> the bullets show up to the left of all text. inside would make text
> wrap under the bullets. */

The */ was causing some of the problems.
It keeps the comment from being a comment.

I tried playing with the <h1> and I do not seem to be able to get it to
work properly.

<h1> style="width:"</h1>
Does not seem to work.

--
***************************************

DLU wrote:

> What % should I use, or do I need to experiment?

Experiment with different window sizes.

--
Berg

Bergamot

DLU wrote:

> <h1> style="width:"</h1>
> Does not seem to work.

Get rid of the width altogether. You don't need it.

--
Berg

Jonathan N. Little

Bergamot wrote:

> DLU wrote:
>>
>> <h1> style="width:"</h1>
>> Does not seem to work.

> Get rid of the width altogether. You don't need it.

Exactly!

--
Take care,

Jonathan