Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Who gets higher salary a Java Programmer or a C++ Programmer?

Noah Roberts

Alan Carre wrote:
> My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit

Get a better client. Even if people DID respond favorably to your
rather presumptuous request, it wouldn't stop you from missing messages.

so I (and probably many
> others)

I very much doubt the problem is as widespread as you seem to think.
I've never even heard of a client so broken as you are describing.

Tom Anderson

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Alan Carre wrote:

> My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably many
> others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore. There
> doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will sit there
> on the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at present, and
> diminishing) to appear in this group.

You need to get a new newsreader.

tom

--
blackguard, coward, git, guttersnipe, hooligan, ignoramus, liar, rat,
swine, stoolpigeon, and traitor

Lew

Noah Roberts wrote:
> *plonk*

*plonk*

--
Lew

Lew

Alan Carre wrote:
> My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably many
> others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore. There
> doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will sit there on
> the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at present, and
> diminishing) to appear in this group.

You should try Thunderbird from Mozilla. It's free, and lets you killfile
individual email address or undesirable threads. AFAIK it has no limit on
number of messages beyond what you choose to set. You are unlikely to get
cooperation from everyone from a plea to stop posting, so your only certain
option is either to filter the trash out of your view or to put up with it.

There are a plethora of newsreaders out there with like capability, really
better than T-Bird's even, so there's no reason to tolerate an inferior interface.

--
Lew

Wesley MacIntosh

Lew wrote:
> Alan Carre wrote:
>> My message reader has a mere 1000 message limit so I (and probably
>> many others) can't see anything beyond this particular thread anymore.
>> There doesn't seem to be an option to ignore this thread so it will
>> sit there on the bottom of the page allowing only 30 threads (at
>> present, and diminishing) to appear in this group.

> You should try Thunderbird from Mozilla. It's free, and lets you
> killfile individual email address or undesirable threads. AFAIK it has
> no limit on number of messages beyond what you choose to set. You are
> unlikely to get cooperation from everyone from a plea to stop posting,
> so your only certain option is either to filter the trash out of your
> view or to put up with it.
>
> There are a plethora of newsreaders out there with like capability,
> really better than T-Bird's even, so there's no reason to tolerate an
> inferior interface.

Seconded, and followups set arbitrarily.

To be blunt about it, OE is a piece of sh!t.

Matthias Buelow

Daniel T. wrote:

> When a coder tells me he likes to
> keep the lights off, that tells me he believes the only thing that is
> important is that which is on the screen. Big mistake IMHO.

Too true; I can't program without scribbling a lot with pencil on paper.
Most important development tool, that.

> IMHO, if he thinks he can take a project from start to finish, create
> functional specs, communicate with others and define completion dates
> without writing a single line of code, he's a danger to the project.

Hehe...C0d3rman to the rescue!

Noah Roberts

Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Daniel T. wrote:
>
>> When a coder tells me he likes to
>> keep the lights off, that tells me he believes the only thing that is
>> important is that which is on the screen. Big mistake IMHO.

> Too true; I can't program without scribbling a lot with pencil on paper.
> Most important development tool, that.

Silliness. You don't need massive overhead florescent lights to write
on paper. The light from the monitor is usually even enough.

I like a nice soft light in my cube but the office lights off. Here at
our office we twisted all the lights so they don't actually work. Some
of us have desk lamps if we want.

You guys assume way too much on way too little.