Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Server Application Error

Server Application Error

Darren Bennett

I have an ASP.NET web application that has been running
fine for 18 months. Suddenly the other day I started
getting the following error:

"An error occurred while try to load the string resources
(GetModuleHandle failed with error -214702388."

It's is not a problem with the application because the
same application is running fine on another web server.

Any help tracking down this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

-Darren-

Avneesh Kumar

Check if web.config is set to impersonate IUSR ( in case
yes, check the access rights of IUSER).

Alternatively, you can try to run Aspnet_regiis with -i
option Also.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?
url=/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/standar
d/aaconaspnetiisregistrationtoolaspnet_regiisexe.asp

Hope this helps..

Avneesh

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Darren,

I noticed that you asked the same question at the following post in this
group:

ASP.NET Server Error

I have replied you in that thread. Please check it when you have time.
Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! 每 www.microsoft.com/security

Darren Bennett

Hi Avneesh,

Thanks for your reply. I have just tried both of your
suggestions but neither of them has fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thnaks,

~Darren~

Darren Bennett

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your reply. The reason I posted my question
again was because I couldn't see my original posting from
yesterday.

I'm using IE6 to browser the newsgroup and still can't
find my orginal posting. Can you please post your answer
again?

Thanks,

~Darren~

confers no rights.

>.

Jacob Yang [MSFT]

Hi Darren,

The following is my answer for this issue. Please check it when you have
time.

====================================
From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jacob Yang [MSFT])
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 01:27:07 GMT
Subject: RE: ASP.NET Server Error
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Hi Darren,

Firstly I want to thank Natty for the great help in this issue.

Based on my research and experience, the possible reason of this issue is
that the ASPNET account does not have the privilege mentioned in the
articles
below.

824308 BUG: IWAM Account Is Not Granted the Impersonate Privilege for
ASP.NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824308
821546 Overview of the "Impersonate a Client After Authentication" and the
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821546

The solution is adding ASPNET account to the "Impersonate a client after
authentication". Please refer to the mentioned Knowledge Base articles
carefully for this issue.

"...
This article discusses the "Impersonate a client after authentication" and
"Create global objects" user rights. These new security settings were first
introduced in Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) and help to increase
security in Windows 2000.
..
After you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) on your computer, some
programs that use impersonation may not work correctly.
..
"

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! 每 www.microsoft.com/security

Best regards,

Jacob Yang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! 每 www.microsoft.com/security

Darren Bennett

Hi Jacob,

Many thanks for your fantastic support - the problem is
now fixed.

Best regards,

~Darren~