Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Is Visual C++ totally free?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is Visual C++ totally free?

 
 
Bo Persson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2008
Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
> "Bo Persson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Juha Nieminen wrote:
>>> Bo Persson wrote:
>>>> No. Please check the FAQ at
>>>> http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/
>>>>
>>>> Especially question 7
>>>>
>>>> a.. 7. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>>>> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built
>>>> using Visual Studio Express Editions.
>>>
>>> I know. It's just that the wording is a bit ambiguous. "Can I
>>> use". Does it mean "can I use it, as an individual, to create
>>> commercial software", or does it also include "can my
>>> 100-employee company use it for commercial purposes" as well?
>>>
>>> I would really like to find the legal usage license which
>>> explicitly states, in completely unambiguous words, how this goes,
>>> rather than relying on a short informal answer in a FAQ. I just
>>> can't find it.

>>
>> I think the "no licensing restrictions" is pretty clear.
>>
>> Otherwise you might consider spending ?200 on a Standard Edition
>> Upgrade instead, as a cheap insurance. Cheaper than having your
>> lawyer read the EULA!

>
> Well, AFAICT, the answer to question 7:
>
>
>
>
> Q: 7. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>
> A: Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built
> using Visual Studio Express Editions.
>
>
>
>
> directly addresses a __single__ person; not a plurality of persons.
> Perhaps the following question might get a different answer:
>


So you have to download and register a copy each.

>
> 7. Can I, and all of my companies employees, use the Express
> Editions to explicitly create closed-source proprietary commercial
> software which may, or may not, involve my companies patented
> algorihtms?


A: Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built
using Visual Studio Express Editions.



Bo Persson


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rolf Magnus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2008
Bo Persson wrote:

> Juha Nieminen wrote:
>> Erik Wikstr�m wrote:
>>>> "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal
>>>> and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute,
>>>> transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create
>>>> derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information,
>>>> software, products or services obtained from the Services."
>>>
>>> This is the license for the VC++ 2008 Express software, it only
>>> applies to that software, not any software created with it.

>>
>> But if you use the software to make commercial software, isn't that
>> commercial use of the software?

>
> No. Please check the FAQ at
> http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/
>
> Especially question 7
>
> a.. 7. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built using
> Visual Studio Express Editions.


Well, IMHO that contradicts the license, and in such a case, I'd rather go
with the license than the FAQ, because the license is a legal text and the
FAQ isn't.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bo Persson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-02-2008
Rolf Magnus wrote:
> Bo Persson wrote:
>
>> Juha Nieminen wrote:
>>> Erik Wikstr?m wrote:
>>>>> "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal
>>>>> and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute,
>>>>> transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create
>>>>> derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information,
>>>>> software, products or services obtained from the Services."
>>>>
>>>> This is the license for the VC++ 2008 Express software, it only
>>>> applies to that software, not any software created with it.
>>>
>>> But if you use the software to make commercial software, isn't
>>> that commercial use of the software?

>>
>> No. Please check the FAQ at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/
>>
>> Especially question 7
>>
>> a.. 7. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built
>> using Visual Studio Express Editions.

>
> Well, IMHO that contradicts the license, and in such a case, I'd
> rather go with the license than the FAQ, because the license is a
> legal text and the FAQ isn't.


In what way does it contradict the license? Nowhere does it say "You
may not sell your software". It does say "You may not distribute our
software separately, only as a part of your own". That is totally
different!

http://download.microsoft.com/docume...a5a0dc2ce2.pdf


When they try to explain the legalese in the FAQ, the explanation is:

"Can I use Express Editions for commercial use? Yes, there are no
licensing restrictions for applications built using Visual Studio
Express Editions."

What's wrong with "Yes" and "no restrictions"?


Bo Persson


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rolf Magnus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-03-2008
Bo Persson wrote:

>>> a.. 7. Can I use Express Editions for commercial use?
>>> Yes, there are no licensing restrictions for applications built
>>> using Visual Studio Express Editions.

>>
>> Well, IMHO that contradicts the license, and in such a case, I'd
>> rather go with the license than the FAQ, because the license is a
>> legal text and the FAQ isn't.

>
> In what way does it contradict the license? Nowhere does it say "You
> may not sell your software".


Ok, earlier in this thread, someone posted part of a license text that said
exactly that. But the link you posted doesn't contain that text.

> http://download.microsoft.com/docume...a5a0dc2ce2.pdf


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
it the Cisco switchprobe totally out of use? sqrfolkdnc Cisco 0 09-29-2005 03:05 AM
OSPF Totally stubby area Guan Foo Wah Cisco 1 08-04-2005 01:42 AM
Totally OT: The Disc Golf Twins turn Seven =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 6 03-21-2005 10:11 PM
Totally Unprepared =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4=?= MCSD 1 05-18-2004 04:10 PM
Failed 70-305 totally mismanaged time dunfailed MCSD 7 11-19-2003 10:05 PM



Advertisments