Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Re: How to see close caption in a DVD?

Telstar

"ABC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
> still no CC.
>
> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
> appreiciated
>
> ABC

Listen carefully, I will say this only once.

You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to your
TV in Hong Kong.

Or watch it on your computer.

Netmask

"Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gg4fub$8ne$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "ABC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
>> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
>> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
>> still no CC.
>>
>> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
>> appreiciated
>>
>> ABC

> Listen carefully, I will say this only once.
>
> You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to
> your TV in Hong Kong.
>
> Or watch it on your computer.

Hong Kong is PAL soon to change over to the home grown Chinese designed
system so NTSC is not much use. Also the OP is after DVD CC that really are
included in the VOB files as bitmaps just like subtitles and normally
accesable via the disc menu or the subs button on the DVD remote. Line 22 is
used for CC transmission by PAL TV standards. I think line 21 for the USA

AnimalMagic

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:46:00 GMT, "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Telstar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:gg4fub$8ne$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "ABC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I bought some Zone 1 DVD wtih CC. Played it on my philips DVP5166,
>>> connected to a Panasonic old rear projection TV. This combination
>>> cannot display the closed caption. Changed to a Samsung plasma and
>>> still no CC.
>>>
>>> Do I need a special DVD player, or a CC decoder box? Any help
>>> appreiciated
>>>
>>> ABC

>> Listen carefully, I will say this only once.
>>
>> You will need to buy a CC decoder that works with NTSC that outputs to
>> your TV in Hong Kong.
>>
>> Or watch it on your computer.

>Hong Kong is PAL soon to change over to the home grown Chinese designed
>system so NTSC is not much use. Also the OP is after DVD CC that really are
>included in the VOB files as bitmaps just like subtitles and normally
>accesable via the disc menu or the subs button on the DVD remote. Line 22 is
>used for CC transmission by PAL TV standards. I think line 21 for the USA

So it likely really is a region code issue.

RickMerrill

ABC wrote:
> Just found out why.
>
> Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
> 3146K
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360108632130
>
> Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
> all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
> something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
> shipped here.
>
> sigh....
>

> ABC

Best suggestion I heard was watch it on computer - can u do that?

AnimalMagic

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:07:42 -0500, RickMerrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ABC wrote:
>> Just found out why.
>>
>> Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
>> 3146K
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360108632130
>>
>> Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
>> all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
>> something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
>> shipped here.
>>
>> sigh....
>>

>> ABC
>>

>Best suggestion I heard was watch it on computer - can u do that?

LG makes a CD, DVD, HD-DVD, BD-DVD reader for the PC. It comes with
software to watch movies. I think the model is the H20L.

Of course, it also reads the data storage forms of the disc types, and
it would have no problem reading the RW discs, but it would be wiser to
use media other than RW when you make movie archives in the future. RW
media has a shorter shelf life for written data as well... another
drawback.

I have even had problems reading RW on the PS3, which is fairly new
stuff.

Netmask

"ABC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just found out why.
>
> Many DVD players in the US can decode CC directly.e.g. Philips DVP
> 3146K
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360108632130
>
> Just checked with Philips in Hong Kong. They do not carry it at
> all.Probably true with all other DVD Dealers. No reason to carry
> something only used in RPC 1. May be I need to buy one and have it
> shipped here.
>
> sigh....
>

> ABC

just a thought - how do you connect your dvd player to your TV? Composite
video? component? HDMI? SVideo?

xeaglecrest@att.net

GMAN wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:39:18 GMT, "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrotd:
> >
> >> just a thought - how do you connect your dvd player to your TV? Composite
> >>video? component? HDMI? SVideo?

> >Composite. It won't help because the TV does not have a CC decoder
> >anyway.
> >
> >ABC
> >

> Doesnt need to, the dvd player has subtitle capability. Closed Captioning is
> not needed.

DVD's can have both subtitles and CC (closed captions). The later are
recorded the same way as a TV broadcast and can only be decoded by the
TV itself.

RickMerrill

> GMAN wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ABC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:39:18 GMT, "Netmask" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrotd:

>>> Composite. It won't help because the TV does not have a CC decoder
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> ABC
>>>

>> Doesnt need to, the dvd player has subtitle capability. Closed Captioning is
>> not needed.

> DVD's can have both subtitles and CC (closed captions). The later are
> recorded the same way as a TV broadcast and can only be decoded by the
> TV itself.

Dat's the Fact, jack! But do not the "subtitles" often come with
language selection, while CC can only come in a single language?