Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > 70-297 Fail

Reply
Thread Tools

70-297 Fail

 
 
Chris M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2008

Took 297 today... failed with 601

Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
with seconds to spare on one of them!

Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
an exam?

--
Chris M.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pete Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2008
I did 298, which follows the same format. I enjoyed it, because it is a good
reflection of what I encounter when working. I am given a brief, and have to
make technical recommendations based on the information there.

Really it is a case of knowing the information well, and being able to pick
out the relevant points. Things like "some clients are still running Windows
95/98", or "we have some legacy applications running on an NT4 server", tell
you that you can't use specific methods, and will have to use (usually) less
secure ones. If you recommend the more secure, but incompatible ones, some
clients will not be able to connect, and in the exam as in life, that is an
epic fail on your part.

I think the best thing you can do is try and learn all the pitfalls, caveats
and gotchas when designing AD in relation to NT and 2000, Domain and Forest
functional levels and FSMO roles.

Give it a week or so of cramming all that in your head and try again.

BTW, you did Second Shot, right?
--
Pete Jones
MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


"Chris M" wrote:

>
> Took 297 today... failed with 601
>
> Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
> with seconds to spare on one of them!
>
> Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
> an exam?
>
> --
> Chris M.
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Montreal_MCT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2008
I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser. The
design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
certifications!

Good luck on your rewrite!

M
--
Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Chris M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gg1quh$k82$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Took 297 today... failed with 601
>
> Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
> with seconds to spare on one of them!
>
> Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of an
> exam?
>
> --
> Chris M.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-20-2008
I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the site,
Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I know
that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar to
what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
you unannounced.
--
Pete Jones
MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

*Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
experience may vary.

"Montreal_MCT" wrote:

> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser. The
> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
> certifications!
>
> Good luck on your rewrite!
>
> M
> --
> Mitch Garvis
> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>
> "Chris M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gg1quh$k82$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Took 297 today... failed with 601
> >
> > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
> > with seconds to spare on one of them!
> >
> > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of an
> > exam?
> >
> > --
> > Chris M.

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Montreal_MCT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2008
Good point -M

--
Mitch Garvis
Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
http://garvis.ca/blogs

"Pete Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
> people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
> site,
> Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
> know
> that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.
>
> If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
> get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.
>
> But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
> to
> what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
> know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
> you unannounced.
> --
> Pete Jones
> MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging
>
> *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
> experience may vary.
>
> "Montreal_MCT" wrote:
>
>> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
>> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
>> The
>> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
>> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
>> certifications!
>>
>> Good luck on your rewrite!
>>
>> M
>> --
>> Mitch Garvis
>> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutions
>> http://garvis.ca/blogs
>>
>> "Chris M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:gg1quh$k82$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > Took 297 today... failed with 601
>> >
>> > Horrible exam, very little time to spare on each case study... finished
>> > with seconds to spare on one of them!
>> >
>> > Back to the books then. Any advice on good techniques for this beast of
>> > an
>> > exam?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Chris M.

>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
chrismckeo@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2008
Yeah, it was more the format of the exam that I found rather unnerving
- and I'm more used to finishing an exam with 30+ minutes to spare.
During most of the 297 exam I found myself feeling pressured for time
which in turn made me feel like I wasn't reading the information as
thoroughly as I should be.

I wasn't too impressed with the MS Press book for 297 either, and even
less impressed with the practice exam on the CD-ROM - full of bugs and
typos on the questions. I think I'll toss that book and get a new one
before retaking.

Thanks for the replies, it's always good to get a different
perspective, it helps you look at your situation from the outside.

--
Chris.


On 21 Nov, 00:40, "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Good point -M
>
> --
> Mitch Garvis
> Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutionshttp://garvis.ca/blogs
>
> "Pete Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
> > people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
> > site,
> > Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
> > know
> > that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

>
> > If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
> > get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

>
> > But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
> > to
> > what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
> > know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
> > you unannounced.
> > --
> > Pete Jones
> > MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

>
> > *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
> > experience may vary.

>
> > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:

>
> >> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
> >> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
> >> The
> >> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
> >> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
> >> certifications!

>
> >> Good luck on your rewrite!

 
Reply With Quote
 
chrismckeo@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2008
On 20 Nov, 11:54, Pete Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I did 298, which follows the same format. I enjoyed it, because it is a good
> reflection of what I encounter when working. I am given a brief, and have to
> make technical recommendations based on the information there.
>
> Really it is a case of knowing the information well, and being able to pick
> out the relevant points. Things like "some clients are still running Windows
> 95/98", or "we have some legacy applications running on an NT4 server", tell
> you that you can't use specific methods, and will have to use (usually) less
> secure ones. If you recommend the more secure, but incompatible ones, some
> clients will not be able to connect, and in the exam as in life, that is an
> epicfailon your part.
>
> I think the best thing you can do is try and learn all the pitfalls, caveats
> and gotchas when designing AD in relation to NT and 2000, Domain and Forest
> functional levels and FSMO roles.
>
> Give it a week or so of cramming all that in your head and try again.
>
> BTW, you did Second Shot, right?


Oh, and I did use second shot, but I used it on my previous exam (294)
which I passed. When booking 297 the second shot voucher would only
give me a discount, not another second shot. I guess that I'll get
another second shot when booking my next exam (seems like a way of
maximising revenue from exam retakes).

Chris.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2008
The point of the time restriction on this one seems to be to push you into
skimming the brief and seeing if you spot the relevant parts whilst
discarding the useless information.

I usually read all the questions first, make a few notes on what is needed,
then skim the whole brief, note some more things and re-read the parts I
think are relevant.
--
Pete Jones
MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging


"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Yeah, it was more the format of the exam that I found rather unnerving
> - and I'm more used to finishing an exam with 30+ minutes to spare.
> During most of the 297 exam I found myself feeling pressured for time
> which in turn made me feel like I wasn't reading the information as
> thoroughly as I should be.
>
> I wasn't too impressed with the MS Press book for 297 either, and even
> less impressed with the practice exam on the CD-ROM - full of bugs and
> typos on the questions. I think I'll toss that book and get a new one
> before retaking.
>
> Thanks for the replies, it's always good to get a different
> perspective, it helps you look at your situation from the outside.
>
> --
> Chris.
>
>
> On 21 Nov, 00:40, "Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Good point -M
> >
> > --
> > Mitch Garvis
> > Microsoft MVP: Essential Server Solutionshttp://garvis.ca/blogs
> >
> > "Pete Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > > I'm thinking it was the format of the exam which he found horrible. Most
> > > people will take the exams in some order similar to the layout on the
> > > site,
> > > Client first, Core next, Elective and finally Design. The only exams I
> > > know
> > > that have the testlet format are 297, 298 and 285.

> >
> > > If you are expecting the usual c. 50 questions in c. 2 hours, and instead
> > > get the testlet format, I think that would throw most people off.

> >
> > > But I enjoy those ones, they feel the most like "real life"* and similar
> > > to
> > > what I deal with at work. Maybe if you are geared up for the testlets and
> > > know what to expect with them they are more fun than if they are sprung on
> > > you unannounced.
> > > --
> > > Pete Jones
> > > MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

> >
> > > *Definition of "real life" not binding on this or any other planet, your
> > > experience may vary.

> >
> > > "Montreal_MCT" wrote:

> >
> > >> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible... but
> > >> never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore loser.
> > >> The
> > >> design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and am not looking
> > >> forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would respect the
> > >> certifications!

> >
> > >> Good luck on your rewrite!

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
joppan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2008

go for sadikhov.com and take the exam,well i have a 2003 server and xp
virtual machines will i b able to do exercise mentioned in MS pres ttaig
kit,exepcitng a relpy

regards

Joe Joseph,MCSE,CCNA
 
Reply With Quote
 
catwalker63
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2008
"Montreal_MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaselessly in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have walked out of exams having passed and called them horrible...
> but never one that I failed... that just makes you sound like a sore
> loser. The design exams ARE beasts (I plan to take one next week and
> am not looking forward to it) but then, if they were easy NOBODY would
> respect the certifications!
>
> Good luck on your rewrite!
>
> M


My biggest issue with the Design exam was the lack of a potty break. Made
the final leg of the exam very uncomfortable. <sigh>

--
Catwalker
MCNGP #43
www.mcngp.com
"Definitely not wearing any underwear."
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Routers fail to connect - Dell 2300 john.traynor@cox.net Wireless Networking 2 11-01-2005 02:56 PM
TB fail to send mail with attachment Klaus Firefox 3 08-18-2005 10:07 PM
Three different mozilla browsers fail to launch on my Mac G4 David M. Fresco Firefox 13 11-28-2004 05:36 AM
Unknown Trojan causing wireless connection to fail Headtheball Wireless Networking 1 10-03-2004 03:02 PM
if (f() != FAIL) or if (FAIL != f())? Wenjie C Programming 3 07-31-2003 09:54 PM



Advertisments