Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > GzipFile as a Context manager

GzipFile as a Context manager

Mikolai Fajer

Is there a reason that the gzip.GzipFile class does not have __enter__
and __exit__ methods that mimic those of the file object? I expected
the following to work but it doesn't:

import gzip
with gzip.open('temp.gz', 'w') as fhandle:
gzip.write('Hello world.')

If there is no reason to avoid this behavior should I submit a bug
report and a subsequent patch? Thanks!

--

-Mikolai Fajer-