Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Weird Problem

Weird Problem

Scribner

I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dan C

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:31:23 -0800, Scribner wrote:

> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32.

<snip the usual Windoze problem descriptions>

> Any suggestions?

Don't run that crap "OS".

Try this: http://www.slackware.com

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
>running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
>problem and the computer starts up again.

Guess's:

Start | Run <type in>
powercfg.cpl
<enter>

Advanced and see what you have when you press the button.

My bios has options of what to do after a crash (mine is: stay off)
yours might be: reboot (if you have this option)

You might turn off USB in the BIOS, the OS takes care of USB and
doesn't need to be activated in the BIOS - unless you have USB devices
that are needed to boot up with (USB Keyboard).
--

Fish'n
http://funniez.net/Latest/bloody-red-sea.html

Scribner

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:12:25 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
>>running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
>>problem and the computer starts up again.

>Guess's:
>
>Start | Run <type in>
>powercfg.cpl
><enter>
>
>Advanced and see what you have when you press the button.
>
>My bios has options of what to do after a crash (mine is: stay off)
>yours might be: reboot (if you have this option)
>
>You might turn off USB in the BIOS, the OS takes care of USB and
>doesn't need to be activated in the BIOS - unless you have USB devices
>that are needed to boot up with (USB Keyboard).

Thanks for the help. My button setting is to shut down. And I do
have a USB keyboard.

chuckcar

Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Scribner

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
>> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
>> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
>> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
>> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
>> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
>> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
>> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
>> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
>> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
>> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
>> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
>> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
>> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
>> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
>> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
>> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
>> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>

>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner

I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
USB died.

hwأf

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
following claims :

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
>>> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
>>> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
>>> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
>>> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
>>> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
>>> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
>>> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
>>> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
>>> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
>>> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
>>> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
>>> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
>>> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You ****ed up the BIOS when you flashed it. I assume you made a backup of
your BIOS and know wtf you're doing so you can roll it back to the
original config?

Typical:"everything worked until I started fiddling about with ****".

Either get yourself some pcs to experiment with that you can afford to
break and FUBAR or continue to live in frustration.

Good luck fixin things.

http://www.mykeru.com

Scribner

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:39:54 -0700, hwأf <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner aided th' terraists with the
>following claims :
>
>> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>>

>You ****ed up the BIOS when you flashed it. I assume you made a backup of
>your BIOS and know wtf you're doing so you can roll it back to the
>original config?
>
>Typical:"everything worked until I started fiddling about with ****".
>
>Either get yourself some pcs to experiment with that you can afford to
>break and FUBAR or continue to live in frustration.
>
>Good luck fixin things.

It is NOT the BIOS. If it was, the problem would exist when I plug in
the XP drive.

chuckcar

Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 02:08:18 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>
>>> I'm running Vusta Ultimate 32. My rig has two SATA and two PATA
>>> drives. My root is on the SATA drive. I noticed that suddenly my
>>> system wasn't seeing one of the PATA drives at formatted. I could see
>>> the drive in DOS but not in Windows. I decided to save what I could
>>> and transfer the data to a different drive. While I was doing this,
>>> Windows decided to do some updates. Annoying. While I was installing
>>> the new drive in the BIOS, I decided to turn on the over-clocking
>>> feature to see what would happen. I had never turned it on. Well, on
>>> re-boot, the computer would not start. So I had to flash the CMOS and
>>> reconfigure the BIOS. Now, everything works fine EXCEPT for one
>>> annoying problem. When I shut off Windows, the power supply keeps
>>> running. After about a minute, I get a BSOD regarding a USB driver
>>> problem and the computer starts up again. At first, I blamed the
>>> BIOS. Then I put in my XP Pro diagnostic drive and the computer shut
>>> down without a problem. I can reload my entire root drive from
>>> backout but that is extreme if I can figure out why the power supply
>>> won't shut down. I have worked with the settings in POWER OPTIONS to
>>> no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
>>>

>>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

> 2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
> into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner

In order of likelyhood: The Hauppague, The hub the camera. No scanner/all in one printer?

> I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
> USB died.

Well, that was a bit drastic. Of course it was turned off. That's what you
did. Why don't you try just running the keyboard and mouse and then add
one at a time until you get the blue screen again? I seriously doubt if your
bios update is the problem. They're a drastic measure that leave the computer
not even able to POST much less boot if you get it wrong. Generally the *last*
thing you try.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

Gaius Baltar <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:38:12 -0800, Scribner <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>>The question *is* what do you have plugged into the USB ports?

>>2 printers, 1 keyboard, 1 trackball, 1 camera, 1 hub (nothing plugged
>>into it),1 Hauppague TV tuner
>>
>>I turned USB off in my BIOS and my trackball died. I think that all
>>USB died.

> I think you need to enable USB but not USB legacy - otherwise in
> Windows there will be no USB. legacy USB give support outside Windows
> e.g. from DOS

Actually safe mode too.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )