Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > tomcat doubt

tomcat doubt

harryos

hi
i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
webapps/ROOT.
I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
folder.
Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains

<taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
<taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />

<target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
<!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
<property name="context-path" value="" />
</target>

<target name="start"
description="Starts the default Web application">
<echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
<start
url="${url}"
username="${username}"
password="${password}"
path="/${context-path}"
/>
</target>

where url=http://localhost:8080/manager

Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
starting manager?

i am quite new to j2ee .Can someone pls make this clear?

Arne Vajh°j

harryos wrote:
> hi
> i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
> The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
> default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
> webapps/ROOT.
> I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
> webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
> folder.
> Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.

> Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains
>
> <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
> <taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />
>
> <target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
> <!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
> ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
> the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
> <property name="context-path" value="" />
> </target>
>
> <target name="start"
> description="Starts the default Web application">
> <echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
> <start
> url="${url}"
> username="${username}"
> password="${password}"
> path="/${context-path}"
> />
> </target>
>
> where url=http://localhost:8080/manager
>
> Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
> starting manager?

I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.

Arne

stevenhong

On Nov 19, 3:06*am, Arne Vajh°j <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> harryos wrote:
> > hi
> > i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
> > The textbook *Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
> > default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
> > webapps/ROOT.
> > I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
> > webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
> > folder.
> > Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

> My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.
>

> > Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains

> > <taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
> > *<taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />

> > <target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
> > * * * * <!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
> > ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
> > the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
> > * * * *<property name="context-path" value="" />
> > </target>

> > <target name="start"
> > * * *description="Starts the default Web application">
> > * * * *<echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
> > * * * *<start
> > * * * * * url="${url}"
> > * * * * * username="${username}"
> > * * * * * password="${password}"
> > * * * * * path="/${context-path}"
> > * *</target>

> > where url=http://localhost:8080/manager

> > Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
> > starting manager?

> I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.
>
> Arne- Hide quoted text -

my tomcat version is 6.0.14. the ROOT folder also exists in the weapps