Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Binding CPU to Network Adapter?

Binding CPU to Network Adapter?

Chris M

Hi all,

I'm reading the MS training kit book for 70-297 which I have to say
contains some bizarre example situations. For example, one suggested use
for a remote access server is to provide public access to a shared
folder that contains job accouncements, and potential employees could
connect to this share over the Internet to view the job descriptions!

Erm, here's an alternative, there's this great thing called the Web
which allows you to advertise stuff like this, with the added bonus that
it can be indexed by search engines... what a completely weird example,
and so far removed from the real world that it's just laughable. There's
lots more stuff like this in the book. I hope I pass the exam, I don't
want to have to read through this again!

Anyway, rant over. The real reason I'm here is that one of the things
the book mentions is that you can make a multi-CPU VPN server more
efficient by binding individual CPUs to network cards. I did a quick
Google and it does indeed seem that it is possible, but I can't seem to
find out how to do it. Anyone know? I'm just curious.

Cheers,

--
Chris.

Wayne

Interrupt Affinity
Interrupt affinity means binding of interrupts from a specific device to
specific processor(s) in a multiprocessor server. This enforces running the
ISR and DPC routines on the said processor(s). Because network connections
and file server sessions all stay on the same network adapter, binding
interrupts from the network adapter to a processor allows for processing of
incoming packets (server message block (SMB) requests, data) on a specific
set of processors, improving locality and scalability. You cannot configure
affinity on single-processor computers.
The Interrupt-Affinity Filter (IntFiltr) tool allows you to change the
CPU-affinity of the interrupts in a system.
Using this utility, you can direct the interrupts of any device to a
specific processor or set of processors (as opposed to always sending
interrupts to any CPU in the system). Note that different devices can have
different interrupt-affinity settings.

Wayne McGlinn
Brisbane, Oz
MCNGP Silver